Insulation 2" foam board under radiant slab

Old 02-16-14, 06:40 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation 2" foam board under radiant slab

using the 2" foam board under the slab, I notice there are different (or offered) compression ratings. where should I be?
example:
Rigid Foam

Old 02-16-14, 07:01 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure we know the answer to that question. Someone would have answered if they did.

Try contacting the insulation manufacturer and see what they say... or if you want, let me know and I'll move this post to a different forum where someone may know.

This is not so much a heating question as it is a building question.

Old 02-16-14, 10:09 PM
H
STYROFOAM? Brand HIGHLOAD 40 Insulation Footnote (3)
Vertical compressive strength is measured at 10% deformation (5% for STYROFOAM™ Brand HIGHLOAD 40, 60 and 100 Insulation products) or at yield, whichever occurs first. Since STYROFOAM™ Brand Extruded Polystyrene products are visco-elastic materials, adequate design safety factors should be used to prevent long-term creep. For static loads, 3:1 is suggested. For dynamic loads, 5:1 is suggested.

Old 02-18-14, 08:18 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
See if there is anything at this website that helps your choice of insulation:

Residential Slab

To determine the correct product for your specific application, please call our technical information representatives at 1-866-583-BLUE(2583).

Last edited by NJT; 02-18-14 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-22-14, 06:29 PM
R
Answer me this Trooper, if not you then it will probably go unanswered, What is the layer under the EPS 2" board? normally It would be gravel but wouldnt that damage the foam board when walked on? Should it be crush and run or small gravel (more cost)?

Also I found a no name EPS board the will save me over a thousand dollars. Probably the same stuff that someone else stamps their name on. I have their spec sheet but dont know what Im looking at. Would that be something I could email you and you take a look?

Old 09-13-14, 08:39 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts

...if not you then it will probably go unanswered,
:NO NO NO:

If this question had been posted into the correct forum initially, it would likely have not been unanswered nor obtain generic unspecific answers/replies etc.

The importance of posting a question into the CORRECT forum initially aids in obtaining the best possible answer(s) to a specific question from the sites professionals...

Also helps if a post is MOVED into the correct forum, then answered and allowed to be answered by those whom know the answers and or work in the industries and trade skills, etc....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: