Need a low profile locking solution for revolving platform

Old 03-29-17, 04:24 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need a low profile locking solution for revolving platform

I have a riser with an 8ft stage revolve recessed into it. It will be carpeted, and people will be walking on it in bare feet, so I can't have something that pokes out for people to step on.

There is about a 3/4" overhang on the riser ledge surrounding the revolve.

One solution I have attempted is using a recessed compression latch, which I had covered the "compressing part" with rubber, and had pressing onto 1: foam weather stripping I had glued all around the underside of the surrounding ledge, and then 2: friction tape I glued and stapled around the ledge. Neither really worked very well, and still allowed the revolve to spin, although with a bit more resistance.

One thing to note is, there is a second level of riser covering the back half of the revolve, so it is possible to place some sort of latch or something on the back side, but anything it connects to at various locations around the revolve would need to be recessed.

Looking for a cheap as possible and simple solution, I just haven't been able to come up with anything, or find any sort of hardware than seems to be able to solve my problem.

I would prefer to be able to lock it in any position, but having a handful of lock points would be ok too.

Hoping someone here might have some idea.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-17, 04:34 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds like you want some type of spring loaded latch. Search google images. Post some pics if you can.

Old 03-29-17, 05:30 PM
S
I have seen them, just not sure how I could incorporate it into the revolve without having the parts that it latches onto poking out for people to step on.

Here is the recess for the revolve in the riser:
Name:  revolve1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  30.2 KB

Here is the bottom of the revolve:
Name:  revolve2.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  44.1 KB

The revolve in place:
Name:  revolve3.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  33.9 KB

the overhang on the ledge surrounding the revolve with friction tape glued and stapled to it:
Name:  revolve4.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  13.4 KB

The compression latch I have installed that presses into the tape, and does basically next to nothing:
Name:  revolve5.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  18.1 KB

One half of the second level riser which will be resting on, but locked in place with down facing barrel bolts:
Name:  revolve6.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  29.8 KB

Hope this helps. There will also be curved L-channel trim covering the edges of the revolve, and the riser ledge surrounding the revolve, which will pretty much fill in the gap between the two.

Old 03-29-17, 06:36 PM
D
One wheel needs a brake, electronic or mechanical.

Old 03-29-17, 07:11 PM
S
Huh... That might actually work! And it would be easy enough to just run a bolt through the top of the revolve linked to the brake that could be pushed down to lock, and pulled up to unlock.

The only thing I wonder about is whether one locked caster sitting on the smooth surface would be enough to lock the whole thing down, or if it would be like my compression latch solution, which mostly just makes it a little bit harder to spin, but doesn't fully lock it in place.

Old 03-30-17, 03:45 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Could you reconfigure the compression latch to use a pin instead of the tape gook? Possibly have several holed drilled up into the outer base to engage the pin at different points?

Old 03-30-17, 06:16 AM
D
That might actually work!
Sometimes the simple solution is the best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: