Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Could I fix this audio problem?

WI

08-04-17, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Could I fix this audio problem?

My Dad recently bought his first flat screen TV and also replaced his audio receiver so he'd have one that's compatible with the new TV. After almost a month, we connected his VCR to one of the receiver's two analog inputs and had a problem. He could get video, but no audio. We assumed it was a problem with the VCR, but then when I tried connecting the Playstation 2 to the same input, the same problem occurred. When connecting either device to the other analog input, they worked fine, which means the devices themselves are not the problem. So the problem is with the Left and Right audio output jacks of the same analog inputs. The video works though.

Even though the unit was bought new at Best Buy, they can't help us because it's been over a month since it was bought. The Geek Squad department there won't work on it for any price because we didn't buy a "Protection Plan", and Best Buy won't take it back because the return period is past.

So now I'm wondering if there's something I could do myself. Since it's both the Left and Right audio outputs of the same set of jacks, I'm thinking maybe there's a common problem, such as a loose or disconnected wire that could be easily remedied. Since this is a DIY forum, I thought it would be a good idea to ask here first before trying anything.

What do you guys think? Have you ever come across a problem like this? What was the problem and how did you solve it?

Last edited by BWwhite; 08-04-17 at 12:09 PM.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

08-04-17, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Uh, how about the manufacturers warranty? That has to be more than 30 days. You open it up now and maybe you can fix it, maybe not...now yer royally hosed since the manufacturers warranty is void.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

NJ

08-04-17, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)  
With some receivers the audio inputs are assignable.
Can you post the make and model number of the receiver.

~ Pete ~

WI

08-05-17, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)  
I guess I forgot to mention that all the service centers for this manufacturer (Denon) are out of state. Their policy states that shipping costs both ways are to be paid by the customer, even if they end up not even being able to fix it. As much as the thing weighs, that would be quite a bit.

WI

08-05-17, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)  
I don't have the model number with me. I thought I posted the model number somewhere else on this, or some other forum when asking about it but I can't find it anywhere. I can tell you that it's a Denon.

It has assignable inputs, but there are only 2 inputs that are of the old analog (or composite) type where a Playstation 2 or a VCR could be connected. The one the PS2 is connected to is named "Media Player" and the other one where my dad would connect his VCR to is labeled, "Cable/Satellite". It's the Cable/Satellite one that the audio doesn't work, so the only choice in order to hook up the VCR is to unplug the PS2 and connect the VCR in order to use it. So I was hoping maybe the audio problem on the Cable/Satellite connectors might be an easy fix. Perhaps just a loose wire or something? I thought maybe someone here familiar with electronics might be able to recognize the problem since it's both the Left and Right audio outputs that don't work.

I could mention that someone at Best Buy said that there's some kind of converter that could be gotten so that a device with only composite connections can use one of the HDMI connections. He said it's around $30 for that. To me, that seems like a lot to spend to be able to keep using old technology like a VCR.

NY

08-06-17, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)  
There are RCA "Splitter cables" that are available for a small amount. You would need two of the with the following configuration. Two female connectors to one male connector.

Plug these into the working pair of jacks on the receiver ( "media player). In one of the female connectors on (lets call it) Splitter cable #1, plug in one of the VCR audio connectors. In one of the female connectors on Splitter cable #2 plug in the other audio connector from the VCR. Plug the play station into the two remaining female connectors on Splitter cables #1 and #2.
If the jacks are color coded red and white or red and black, follow the color code.

You will have to use the "media player" input on the receiver for both the VCR and the PlayStation.

NEVER !!!! EVER!!!!! have them both on at the same time.!!!!!!!

Group Moderator

NJ

08-06-17, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)  
The audio level on the RCA jacks is very low so it wouldn't hurt anything if both devices were playing at the same time.

I doubt it's a loose wire inside the receiver.
Without a model number I can't really offer you much help.

~ Pete ~

WI

08-07-17, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)  
There are RCA "Splitter cables" that are available for a small amount. You would need two of the with the following configuration. Two female connectors to one male connector.

Plug these into the working pair of jacks on the receiver ( "media player). In one of the female connectors on (lets call it) Splitter cable #1, plug in one of the VCR audio connectors. In one of the female connectors on Splitter cable #2 plug in the other audio connector from the VCR. Plug the play station into the two remaining female connectors on Splitter cables #1 and #2.
If the jacks are color coded red and white or red and black, follow the color code.

You will have to use the "media player" input on the receiver for both the VCR and the PlayStation.

NEVER !!!! EVER!!!!! have them both on at the same time.!!!!!!!
Thank you, Jimmiee! This sounds like a much more economical solution than buying one of those HDMI/analog converters. I'll let my dad know about this option.

PJmax: I'll try to get you that model number if I can ever remember to look it up. It keeps slipping my mind. But wouldn't the way the composite (RCA) audio jacks work be the same regardless of the model? I was just hoping to be able to take the top off the unit and locate a common cause for both the Left and Right audio jacks to have failed at the same time.

Group Moderator

NJ

08-07-17, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)  
It is not the same for every Denon receiver.

The cable/satellite box audio can be connected with HDMI, Toslink/digital, analog.

~ Pete ~

WI

08-10-17, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)  
I finally have the model number. It is Denon AVR-S510BT.

@Jimmiee--I gave your instructions to my Dad to follow. But then came a question that I didn't think of before. What about the video connection? You show that the Left and Right audio connectors can be split between the PS2 and VCR, but then there's the video connection those 2 devices would need. Would that just be split with a 3rd cable the same way as the 2 audio connectors would be?

Last edited by BWwhite; 08-10-17 at 12:07 PM.

Group Moderator

NJ

08-10-17, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)  
The manual is a little unclear but the audio inputs are assignable. By default they are supposed to be set to automatic but your cable/sat input may not be.

It looks like you select cab/sat input. Then select "input select"and then make sure auto is selected.

Name:  d1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  d2.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  44.6 KB

~ Pete ~

NY

08-11-17, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)  
If the output on your devices are simple composite video and the input on the receiver is composite video ..... then yes you can use a splitter cord. Usually composite video is designated as a yellow connector.

I can envision that the VCR has a Composite video output but I would think that the PlayStation has HDMI. I don't play video games so I don't know about that.

If that is the case then you would have to pay attention to what others are telling you about input/output assignment within the receiver. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to assign both an HDMI and a composite video to the same input ..... so that may not allow you to use both devices into the same input on the receiver as I previously suggested. You're only choice at that point would be that when you wanted to use each device, you would have to go into the receiver programming and change the assignment of the media player input to either composite or HDMI.

WI

08-11-17, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)  
PJmax:
Selecting the input on the receiver hasn't been the problem so far. We selected cbl/sat as the input, but we don't get the audio portion from it. If a VCR is plugged into that input on the receiver and try playing a tape, the video comes through, but not the audio. Same exact thing happens if the PS2 is used in that input. But if the VCR or PS2 is connected to the other composite input, which is the one labeled as "Media Player", then video and audio both work fine. I was just hoping that maybe there was just a loose wire or something simple that could be easily remedied if I were to open up the unit. Since it's both the Left and Right audio that don't work, there would be a common cause affecting them both.

Jimmiee:
The Playstation 2 only has composite outputs, just like the VCR does. Later versions of the Playstation, such as the PS3 and PS4 use HDMI since the disk formats they use is Blu Ray. PS2 uses DVD.

Search this Thread