Honeywell HE260 and Trane XB80

Old 02-09-12, 06:54 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unhappy Honeywell HE260 and Trane XB80

Hi, earlier this week I installed a Honeywell HE260 on my Trane XB80 furnace. I've realized that the pressure switch is a real piece of junk - or the instructions don't specify well enough exactly where to position it. A lot of other people have had the same issue I'm having where the water will not flow because the pressure switch is never tripped. Blowing/sucking from the tube connected to the pressure switch opens the solenoid.

Part 1
I'd like to trash the pressure switch and use a relay hooked up to the furnace/fan to cause the solenoid to open and water to flow. I'd like to continue to use the stand-alone transformer for the humidifier's power.

I looked at the PCB attached to my furnace and I do see a spot marked "HUM-H" but there are not posts or connections, just unsoldered holes in the PCB.

Part 2
Based on the instructions, it sounded like I could place the humidifier on either the supply or return. And the bypass would just go on the opposite. So I ended up placing the humidifier on the return but I'm worried that now air will be drawn from the supply back into the return by way of the humidifier. Wouldn't this cause some issues? There is a filter down stream of the humidifier, will it be affected by the humidified air? Will the filter inhibit the air being humidified in the house? Or is it all good?

Here is a picture of my installation:

I appreciate any advice to help me get this thing working!

Old 02-10-12, 03:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
question 2.) Whether you put the HUM on the supply or the return the air will always flow from the supply to the return. I like them on the return so that if the unit leaks it does not leak onto the furnace.

question 1.) You have a few options. easiest option would be the use of a #50 relay (inductive pickup) or a model 60 humidistat by aprilaire.

Old 02-10-12, 07:24 AM
J
Can you point me to a wiring diagram for a #50 relay to the humidistat? Is this something I can get at a Home Depot, RadioShack, etc?

#2 is obvious now that you say it that way! So nothing to worry about with the circular flow or filter/moisture?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-10-12, 09:45 AM
J
Old 02-10-12, 08:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The relay can be found online or you can probably pick one up at Grainger.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: