Whole house humidifier installaton help please....

Old 11-19-12, 05:05 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whole house humidifier installaton help please....

I have a 3 zone forced heating and ac system installed in my house. Natural gas furnace and electric air conditioning. I am looking at the aprilaire 700. Is there a way to run this in automatic with three zone? Concern is the humidifier is calling to run so I have all three dampers open putting water into the air then zone 1 fires and it will heat the entire house instead of just one zone that is calling for it. Thought about putting relay so that when a zone calls for heat it blocks the humidifier from leaving open all three zones. What do you guys thinks? Sorry for no breaks but the enter key is not working in this forum....

Old 11-19-12, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I'm not a big fan on letting the humidifier tell my blower when to run. Mine is setup that it only humidifies when heat is being called for. Warm air seems to move the humidified air more thoroughly and I've never had a lack of humidification in the home.....usually too much if anything.

Old 11-19-12, 05:39 PM
F
That would certainly solve my dilemma.... I will have to kick that idea around.

Wonder if I should go with the 700m or even maybe a cheaper one. Like the idea of not having to install bypass though I don't have much room.

Old 11-19-12, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Your call. Mine has the bypass and yes it was in a place with absolutely no room to work.

Old 11-19-12, 06:21 PM
I have a bypass, and no issued with it running only on call of heat. If you do the 700, you have to have it mounted on the supply side, and lot of furnaces you don't have room for it. They bypass unit can be mounted on the return.

Old 11-19-12, 06:29 PM
F
How come you have to mount the 700 on the supply when other forced air ones can be mounted either way?

Is it better to have mounted on supply to the moist air isn't going across the heat exchangers?

Old 11-19-12, 06:40 PM
The air is still going from the supply side into the return on the bypass unit. so it's getting the heat.

The humidity is going to be mixed into the air flow on the bypass unit.

Old 11-19-12, 06:51 PM
F
So many choices. Which one to go with Aprilaire 400,600,700 or different one? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 11-19-12, 07:00 PM
400 is a bypass, ideal for people who don't have floor drain, or cost of water is expensive.

600 is a bypass, this unit needs a floor drain for the water to drain, and can be mounted anywhere.

Nice thing about bypass, less things to go wrong, and no extra fan noise.

700 is a fan unit, and is best to be mounted on the supply side. Can be a few extra things that could go wrong. The plus thing about the 700, you don't have to worry about setting the bypass damper to summer/winter as the change.

Old 11-20-12, 04:35 PM
F
Okay I went with 600. Last question I hope....

I known that I use snipes to cut my holes. How to I get the holes started? Drill? What about the six inche round hole?

Thanks!

Old 11-20-12, 06:28 PM
I use a hammer and flat head screw driver. Hit the screwdriver,

then enter your snips into the slot, and work your way out around to your lines.

Old 11-21-12, 02:12 PM
F
Okay I have the 600 auto setup and almost working correctly.
Blower on mode will not work.

I believe the issue to be the honeywell hz311 zone controller. What I did is I took the g wire off the equipment terminal and ran it up to the Humidifier controller g spot, then ran the gf to furnace. Basically I made the assumption that the equipment terminals on zone controllers is my thermostat. I believethe error in my tthinking is that you will not have a output on th g equipment terminal unless a zone is calling for the fan to run. And when you are running in blower mode you don't have a output on the g equipment terminal. But then if this was a thermostat you wouldn't have an output either. You would be getting the 24 volts from the Humidifier anyways.

Any ideas as too why it won't work in blower mode?

Thanks!

http://db.tt/UQekVtTK

http://db.tt/Yvb9Jzxs

http://db.tt/d8T7zjAj

Old 11-21-12, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the G hook up at all. Just put the fan/G wires back where it was before.

Old 11-21-12, 07:39 PM
F
I am annal. I don't think I will ever use it in this mode but it is bothering that I can't figure out why this won't work like it is supposed to. What is confusing me even more is that if I jumper 24v to it it still does not work. I read that it takes an hour once you are in blower mode before it will work but that does not explain why test doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: