HE265 wiring for fan only operation

Old 11-24-12, 08:27 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HE265 wiring for fan only operation

I've done a bunch of research but want to be sure. I've noticed in other posts that hooking up the humidifier to HUM will turn it on when heat is called for and EAC when the fan is on. But it appears my furnace is a bit older and only has Y G W R C terminals. Currently the humidifier is connected to W and C. If I wanted to have it come on whenever the fan is on should I move the connection from W to G?

Any thoughts about doing this? I'm going to head over to the store and pick up a humidity monitor so I can see the results of doing various changes.

Old 11-24-12, 03:23 PM
I've tried running my humidifier w/ the fan "ON", and it ran a lot more to add humidity into the air since there is no heat to help with the evaporation. So I set it to run with the heat only, and ran a lot less.

The only way to make it work with the fan on is the A50 relay.

Old 11-24-12, 03:34 PM
M
Thanks for the info Jay. Guess the G terminal won't work then; good thing I waited for the expert. Humidity meter shows 30% but that's in the kitchen. I'll take a look at the A50 relay.

Old 11-24-12, 03:41 PM
If you wire it to G, then only time that will have power when you turn the stat fan switch to "ON", otherwise, if it's on Auto, when the furnace comes on, it won't come on.

Does your furnace run much at all, or long cycles?

Has the pad been replaced?

Older or newer home?

Old 11-24-12, 04:24 PM
M
Home was built in 2003. The furnace does not come on much and when it does it's usually for about 10 minutes. I changed the pad last month with an OEM one (I normally only change it once a year before the heating season).

I think I understand; it will work connected to G but then I would need to keep the fan on all the time unless I go and change it back to W. Still looking up the A50 relay thing.

Old 11-24-12, 05:01 PM
M
Just to clarify the A50 relay. Currently there are two wires from the humidifier going to the W and C terminals. If I put the A50 relay in do I simply remove the wires from both W and C and connect them to the relay? I'm guessing that I'll need to look deeper into how it's currently wired? When it comes to the relay I found the skuttle A50 relay on Amazon. Is that the one I would need? Amazon.com: Skuttle A50 Control Relay for Use with Mult Speed Blower Motors: Home & Kitchen

Old 11-24-12, 06:17 PM
Sounds like the furnace may be oversized. Or the stat may not be set right.

The C stays in place, you wire from R to the relay, then back to the humidifier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: