Did a rat do this?

Old 06-25-16, 12:34 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Did a rat do this?

My kitchen sink drain pipe. Bits of rubber scattered all over the place.
https://youtu.be/okzqQvrXdMY
Name:  drain.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  25.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-15-16 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 06-25-16, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Generally if a rat/mouse does damage they leave droppings in the area. Have you seen any dropping on the cabinet floor?

Old 06-25-16, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Rats generally just sharpen their teeth on the hard rubber, and as Mark says, not only will the remnants of the rubber be on the bottom of the cabinet, there will also be droppings.

Old 06-25-16, 07:55 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Could be a rat thought there should be droppings in the area and maybe a musty smell from the urine. Large squirrels could do this even quicker than a rat. Here in the northeast US grey squirrels typically do this too. Ground hogs would easily do this too if they had access to under sink. Whatever access this animal used should be easy to detect unlike a mouse hole.

Old 06-26-16, 01:11 AM
B
Initially on opening the cabinet door I saw the floor flooded with drainage water with black bits floating in the water. I first thought these bits were rat droppings but on seeing the rubber pipe realized that it was bits of rubber. So whatever ate through the pipe did not swallow the pieces of rubber but distributed them throughout the cabinet shelf.

Old 07-15-16, 05:22 AM
B
After a month a rat finally emerged from under the cabinet base and died eating the peanut butter in my rat trap.

Old 07-16-16, 07:10 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! Keep that trap set for a while.

Old 01-02-17, 11:17 PM
B
I have no more problems with rats in my kitchen cupboard but I have just seen a rat climbing through an air vent in the kitchen having eating at the plastic cover of my bread bin. The air vent has been eaten away to create an opening big enough to allow access to the kitchen from the cavity wall where they are obviously living. What a pain!!

Old 01-04-17, 07:47 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to figure out how and where the re-infestation is coming from. Are there pet feeding dishes, dog houses, animal pens, etc in the neighborhood? Those are big culprits.

Have you considered purchasing exterior bait stations and keeping the baited with fresh rodenticide? Placed in the exterior perimeter of your house, inside sheds, etc.

Set multiple rat traps indoors in various locations. Basement, attic, ceilings, under sink, utility areas, etc.

I’m convinced that a larger rat problem exists near you and you are getting the over flow of population.

Old 01-04-17, 11:42 PM
B
It seems like I need to buy a number of outdoor traps. I do have two ducks that roam freely
around the yard. I am reluctant to place bait inside the cavity wall where decaying rats will
be the result.

Old 01-05-17, 08:50 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
As PA said, traps and more traps. From my undesirable experience they are very clever and very patient. They also are often nesting in pairs which will (may have already) result in little ones. Secure your traps with a heavy cord so they don't drag it off and find some outside places that are safe from the ducks. The food for the ducks may also be contributing to the problem.

Good luck.

Bud

Old 01-06-17, 12:04 AM
B
I have decided to call in the pest control people. They should know what are the best traps to use and where to position them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: