Flies coming through my windows

Old 02-09-17, 03:39 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flies coming through my windows

Hi,

I just recently had new windows installed and noticed these small flies that look like fruit flies coming through my windows. It's not just one window but mostly all of them. I noticed that there are several died flies around the windows. I always clean up when I'm done and make sure all the dishes are done and the crumbs are cleaned up but they never seem to stop. I live in the Midwest and the temperature has been around 30 so I'm not sure if this is the reason for this. They especially seem to come out of nowhere as soon as I start cooking. I notice them flying around my kitchen, living room, family room, and even my office. The only place I have not seen them is in my two bedrooms. I have already tried the trick where you pour vinegar in a cup but none of the flies went in there. My new windows are Vinyl and I used to have wooden windows but they were 50 years old and were in bad condition. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of these flies?

Old 02-09-17, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If it's 30 degrees there.... aren't your windows closed ?
If they're closed..... how are flies getting thru them ?

Do you only see them flying...... never landing anywhere like on sinks ?

Old 02-09-17, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sounds like fruit flies... and nothing to do with the new windows. Empty your trash, put fruit waste in a closed container until you can throw it out.

Old 02-09-17, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just adding fuel to fire. Were these windows sealed properly on the nailing flange with window tape, and were the voids on the sides, top and bottom sprayed with minimally expanding foam? I doubt they are coming in through the windows, but are already resident inside and emerge when they smell food.

Old 02-10-17, 05:20 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
The flies and the windows may simply be coincidental. The first step in fly control/management is proper ID. Can you take a close up and clear picture? Several would be helpful.

These could be breeding indoors somewhere. The proper ID would lead us to their breeding place and food source as it varies from specie to specie.

Old 02-10-17, 06:47 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
New windows might not be a total coincidence. Vinyl windows have weep channels and drains that old wood windows do not. Some mfr's fuse a little screen mesh over these drain holes. If these drains are open (like mine were) you can stuff a tiny wad of scotchbrite or stainless steel wool into the outlets.

Do you feel drafts on windy days near your new windows?

Old 02-13-17, 11:14 AM
D
I leave my windows closed. I take out the trash and clean up everyday just to avoid these flies.

Name:  IMG_20170210_095238388.jpg
Views: 3668
Size:  10.8 KB

Old 02-13-17, 03:34 PM
D
Below is another picture of the flies.

Most are dead but I will see a few flying around. They don't really land anywhere. I think they are getting through from a small gap on the window. You can see the gap in the 2nd picture on the bottom right. I have 7 windows in my house all of which have several dead flies.

Name:  IMG_20170210_095211480.jpg
Views: 3563
Size:  11.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20170212_123043516.jpg
Views: 3523
Size:  15.2 KB

Old 02-13-17, 03:40 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
I need much closer focus pictures. I need to see characteristics of the fly that would separate it from other species. Get as close to an individual fly as you can and still get a clear in-focus picture.

Another option is to take specimens to the local county agricultural extension office. They are good at insect ID. I’ve used them myself here in PA. You may end up doing that anyway if I or anyone else can’t ID them.

Old 02-15-17, 11:59 AM
D
I think it might be a Gnat. It looks just like one. It won't let me upload a high quality picture on here.

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-17, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
You can upload a high res pic to any photo sharing site (except Tinypic) and post the link here.

Do you have any plants around? I've seen them hanging around wet soil.

Old 02-15-17, 01:38 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
I just can’t see them well enough; sorry. Take some specimens to the local county agricultural extension agent. I’ve found them to be a helpful source to me and others. Keep us posted.

Old 02-22-17, 10:51 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Any news on the flies? I have similar flies occasionally, drives me nuts. I feel like house is clean, etc just like the OP.

I am also midwest (Chicago suburbs). I'd like to ID them as well. Next time i see them i could catch one... where in the sprawling suburbs would i take them for ID? Not sure what or who the AG EX agent would be.

I'll try to get a good photo next time, but its occasional so may be awhile.

Old 02-23-17, 06:48 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
This is the first time that I’ve used this website but it did accurately find Pennsylvania’s info. In PA each county office is an “extension” of Penn State University. That’s what extension refers to.

It is always a good idea to get flies identified as their biological habits, feeding, harborage, breeding sources, etc vary dramatically from specie to specie. We can waste a lot of time and energy and resources if we don’t know the ID. It would be guesswork hoping to get lucky. Proper ID points us in the correct direction for a solution.

Keep us posted on what you find.

PickYourOwn.Org link to a farm website at http://npic.orst.edu/mlrDetail.html?lang=en&to=CEX&state=IL#countyExtension

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: