Viking oven gas safety valve no longer available

Old 11-07-11, 09:50 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Viking oven gas safety valve no longer available

My Viking range model VGR48-6g needs a gas safety valve Viking part number PB010002 which is no longer available from viking or anywhere else. Viking has no alternative product or any advice beyond buy a new range. You can bet if I buy a new one it will not be a Viking!

The valve was originally made by Eaton, who sold that part of their business. The new owners says they have nothing for me.

Here are pictures: Photo Album - Imgur

Anyone have any ideas for me? The valve has specs on the side basically flowing .5 PSI when the flat bar style ignitor draws 3.3 - 3.6 amps.

Something I find annoying is this valve and the two others on the range, all viking original equipment, specifically say DO NOT USE WITH 110 VAC yet that is exactly what viking did.

Old 11-08-11, 06:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello badviking and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

An improvised and best possible solution....

Take the part to a local retail appliance parts store in your area. Ask what generic part can be used in it's replacement. Based upon the photos, that valve does not appear to be any different then several others used in other brands.

Consider it this way:
If you where to call a local appliance service company, what would they do to repair the oven???? Based upon a lack of part availability, the service rep from the appliance company would not likely tell you oven cannot be fixed.

Or that you have to buy a new appliance.... Likelihood would be the service tech would install a generic valve and matching hot surface igniter used in many other brands.

In other words, modify the installation and make it work using non OEM parts....

Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 11-08-11, 07:51 AM
B
Sharp, thanks for the advice I thought that might be an option. I found this Frigidaire valve which has the same specs. The only draw back I see is the lack of mounting bolts on the unit. Mine bolts to a plate and in turn supports one end of the oven burner.

Old 11-09-11, 08:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: badviking

My only personal hang up is buy parts online. I would not suggest you purchase the valve online. In my opinion (IMO) and as I almost always suggest to members requesting such advice, is to take the part to a local appliance dealer and buy the part retail over the counter.

IMO, it is a better method because the parts dealer would know specifically if the part shown in the link is the correct replacement part for the application. Most retail dealers supply local service agents and local service companies with parts wholesale. Therefore, IMO, they are the most knowledgeable knowing what non OEM parts replaces original equipment parts. (OEM)

Besides, buying retail puts the burden of selling you, the retail customer, the correct part the first time, instead of you making the choice and possibly being wrong.... Furthermore, counter person can offer a method used by service agents as to how they secure the part in place. Hope this helps you enough.

Regards and Good Luck. Post back the final results. ...

Old 11-13-11, 08:46 AM
T
tech1234

Hi Badviking,
My service manager saw your post and advised me we have 1 pb010002 valve that we were going to pull off our shelves since it is NLA. If you still need the valve I can send photos ..Also would like to know what happend to your valve that it needs replaced since 99% of the oven ignition problems are the ignitor itself.

tech1234

Forum Moderate and Web Site Admins Note:

Attention tech1234
Although you are well meaning and intentioned attempting to help other members, be aware there is No Advertising or Solisitions Allowed on this web site. Failure to comply to the rules andpolicies will result in a suspension and or permanete banning. No Exceptions Allowed. Suggestion: Before violating the rules, read them and comply.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-16-11 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-13-11, 08:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Generally speaking I recommend against DIYers replacing parts like gas valves with something other than the manufacturers specified part.

Oven gas valves usually are highly specific to the appliance, mounting in highly specific ways and with particular specifications.

Just because two parts might look similar doesn't mean they will work properly, or at all.

Your question about the 110 volt warning is an example of how your lack of knowledge impairs your ability to do such a job safely. You just don't know enough to do such things safely.

If you could get the exact part specified by the manufacturer, you'd have a reasonable chance of getting the job done properly. But I recommend against your present course of action.

At a minimum you may well be frustrated in finding a part that fits properly. At the worst you may find a part that fits but that creates a safety hazard that could kill or injure your family.

Old 11-15-11, 06:24 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badviking
My Viking range model VGR48-6g needs a gas safety valve Viking part number PB010002 which is no longer available from viking or anywhere else. Viking has no alternative product or any advice beyond buy a new range. You can bet if I buy a new one it will not be a Viking!

The valve was originally made by Eaton, who sold that part of their business. The new owners says they have nothing for me.

Here are pictures: Photo Album - Imgur

Anyone have any ideas for me? The valve has specs on the side basically flowing .5 PSI when the flat bar style ignitor draws 3.3 - 3.6 amps.

Something I find annoying is this valve and the two others on the range, all viking original equipment, specifically say DO NOT USE WITH 110 VAC yet that is exactly what viking did.

I think you will find you are in error when you complain about the mfg using 110v. That voltage is indeed used and in the oven circuit there is an igniter which reduces the voltage as seen on the valve body. Line voltage CANNOT be applied directly to the valve or it will damage it. Are you sure the igniters are good and the valve is the culprit as previously mentioned?
I know this post is a bit old but I felt compelled to reply

Old 11-16-11, 03:37 PM
T
Thanks mbk3 , I was thinking about explaining that to badviking but hadn;t heard anything yet...I don't know if he is still in need of the NOS valve I have or if he got another one to fit.

Originally Posted by mbk3
[/B]

I think you will find you are in error when you complain about the mfg using 110v. That voltage is indeed used and in the oven circuit there is an igniter which reduces the voltage as seen on the valve body. Line voltage CANNOT be applied directly to the valve or it will damage it. Are you sure the igniters are good and the valve is the culprit as previously mentioned?
I know this post is a bit old but I felt compelled to reply

Old 01-28-13, 07:52 AM
S
Viking Gas Valve

On Amazon $36 works fine.
Gas Range Oven Valve Y-30128-35AF Replacement for Frigidaire 3203459 - Amazon.com
used epoxy foam glue to attach to steel plate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: