D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
washing machine

washing machine fills up and drains at the same time

Old 09-22-08, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Pull the drain hose out of wall drain and stick it in about 4 or 5 inches, Problem is you are having a siphon affect.

Old 09-25-08, 04:59 PM
D
the drain is located on the floor in my bathroom i pulled the hose up so it wouldnt be down but it still drains. do i need a pipe in the floor piece to raise it ??

Old 09-25-08, 05:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The drain needs to be higher than the water level in the tub, about 32 to 36 inches. If to low water will just drain out of the machine.

Old 09-26-08, 07:17 PM
D
thank you so very much, i picked the hose up high and that seems to be doing it. now i have to ask you one more thing i have no cold water pressure at all would you know where i can raise my water pressure its pretty much just hot water going in the knobs on the wall to the washer are turned open all the way. i think its something down in the basement that has to be done but i have no clue what im looking for

Old 09-26-08, 07:35 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's generaly quite unlikely to have good HOT water pressure, yet low COLD water pressure, stemming from some pipe problem. It CAN happen? - somewhere in the pipe layout though. But if it did, you'd probably notice some other faucet or fixture with the same thing happening, and I bet you don't.

But most likely you have a clogged screen where your washer hose screws into the back of the machine. The screen is built into the fill valve at the back of the machine. Shut off the hose water and remove hose end and clean it out. Also, remove the other end of the hose, as sometimes I have seen screens installed in the end of the hose itself, just to check and see.

Old 09-26-08, 08:11 PM
D
i have good hot water pressure its the cold water that has no pressure even my shower theres no cold washer pressure i have to practically turn the hot water almost off in order to get the shower at the right temperature to take one

Last edited by donnamic01; 09-26-08 at 08:12 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 09-27-08, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would post this question in plumbing but one guess is that the cold water valve in shower is blocked with something. The guys in plumbing are pretty sharp and should have a answer for you. If you can see a name of handles tell them what it is.

Old 09-27-08, 11:51 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donnamic01
i have good hot water pressure its the cold water that has no pressure even my shower theres no cold washer pressure i have to practically turn the hot water almost off in order to get the shower at the right temperature to take one
Okay then. So this means you DO have a pipe issue. The bad spot is located after the water heater cold inlet pipe then.

If that was NOT the case, let's say for argument, and it was BEFORE the cold water inlet to the hot water heater - you would not have good hot water pressure EITHER.

Or it is simply a coincidence with two seperate issues, like clogged CW inlet screen at washer and yet another CW clog in valve of shower. But this would not be the case either if you had paltry CW at the VALVE on the wall for the washer. If that is what you said, disregard this paragraph and consider the first two paragraphs only.

Old 09-27-08, 05:46 PM
D
thank you so much for all your help....im sure i will be talking to you again. donnamic01@aol.com

Old 07-24-13, 08:10 AM
J
I'm new here,and I know this is an old thread, but I've just got to put my two cents in. Apart from the gunk in the screen, look downstairs and follow the cold pipes and see if there's a valve that may not be turned on fully. Happened to me.
Another thought is, if it is an old house, it may have galvanized pipes, instead of copper or PVC/Pex. Those suckers with get a buildup that will hardly let any water pass by. I know. My dad decided to replace only the exposed in cellar galvanized pipes with copper. A 2 foot section about an inch in diameter, you couldn't see but a pinhole of light! We were used to turning the faucets all the way on to get a reasonable stream. After the replacement, water hitting the sink would fly out and get us soaked! Toilet refilling would take less than 45 seconds instead of the usual 12 minutes. Cost my dad less than $35.00, including the solder and propane gas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: