Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Cutting roots from old hedges closer to the ground

Cutting roots from old hedges closer to the ground

Old 05-24-15, 11:11 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cutting roots from old hedges closer to the ground

We cut off the hedges at the roots as close to the ground as possible. Nothing is growing back there and I want to cut what is left all the way to ground level. Then I will cover all with topsoil or something like this. My question is since I want to cut them further rather than have them pulled out, what is the best way to go about this? I am thinking of just hiring a guy with a chain saw but I don't know if he'll want to get that close the the ground with the blade. Suggestions? Is there another tool for cutting these down?

Old 05-24-15, 11:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I wouldn't put any of my chainsaws in the dirt!! Might try a saws all with an old or cheap blade.

Old 05-24-15, 02:05 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Why do you not to want to pull them roots and all?
May end up with shoots keep coming back up, also makes great termite bait will all that decomposing wood. Got a sawsall? If not it would be cheaper to buy one then hire someone to do it.

Old 05-24-15, 03:09 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I don't know what kind of hedge David had, truth be told, I don't know what kind of hedge I had but I DO know that it would have been all but impossible to pull all the roots of my hedge. Sawzall wasn't the answer either as the root would simply flex as the saw blade moved back and forth. What I finally did was to buy a circular saw blade that fit my 4-1/2 inch angle grinder, sat down next to the roots and had at it.

You need to wear a full-face shield and be EXTREMELY CAREFUL as one slip and you will have that saw blade deep in your leg, arm or some other part of your body.

Old 05-24-15, 03:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Your best luck might be hiring a stump grinder.

Old 05-24-15, 04:50 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Got to be kidding, a sawsall will not cut off a simple hedge, a stump grinder for a hedge!!
I've pulled out dozens of hedges with a simple chain with a slip on one end and a grab hook on the the other end with my 1/2 ton truck, one pull and there out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: