Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Can you use a 1 inch sprinkler valve on a 1.5 inch line?

Old 07-30-16, 10:23 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

So I have a seven zone automatic irrigation system, and one of zones has stopped working. I dug up the valve to investigate. It turns out the PVC pipes in my system are 1.5 inch, and so is the valve. (1.5 inch into the valve, 1.5 inch out). My question is: Can I use a 1 inch solenoid valve instead, using a 1.5 inch to 1 inch connector/fitting going into the valve, and 1 inch to 1.5 inch going out of the valve, or will this adversely affect the pressure or functioning of the system? Also, why are 1.5 inch valves so expensive compared to 1 inch? 1 inch valves are common and can be found for around $15. The valve I am replacing is a Hunter - ICV-151G - 1 1/2 in. Globe Valve, with Flow Control, costs around $80 online, and is not sold anywhere nearby. The valve I will be replacing it with is a 1 inch Hunter valve. What am I missing?

Old 07-31-16, 03:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I depends on how many sprinkler heads are on your system and there volume, You will get a reduction in water volume from smaller valve. As to cost the 1 inch valves are much more common.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: