What to do to lawn now that spring is here?

Old 04-14-17, 09:15 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What to do to lawn now that spring is here?

Hi.

I'm not HUGE into my lawn other than cutting it and am wondering if there's anything I can or should be doing now that the weather is getting a little warmer here in Maine.

It does have a lot of crab grass in the front near the sidewalk and of course having a big old blue spruce on the front lawn doesn't help either. It's not a terrible lawn and I think of it more as a natural lawn and I kind of like all the dandelions and clovers and stuff that grow on it during the summer.

What's the LEAST that I can do? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. For now I raked all the fallen branches and stuff from winter off of it although I have a little more to do. There's also a lot of sand in the front near the sidewalk which I plan to rake out as best I can into the sidewalk and then sweep it up.

Can I do some fertilizing or put lime or something on it?

WHen should I start cutting it? It's not even growing yet I don't think and it's really dead looking.

Old 04-14-17, 01:16 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Sounds like you're already doing the least. Fertilizer won't do much if you're not watering when it needs it. Lime is applied only when a soil test tells you it's needed.

I'd start with a pre-emergent herbicide for the crabgrass and some weed killer for the dandelions so you don't get off to a bad start with your neighbors.

Old 04-14-17, 01:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your growing season is still a little ways off up north. I cut my grass last Saturday, and it probably won't need it until next Saturday. As it gets warmer, it's every week, or bush hog time

I lime in February, before the green starts up. It helps neutralize the soil and weeds hate neutral soil.

Old 04-14-17, 01:37 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Check with your local nursery(ies) or others to see if they take soil samples. We are in a rural community, so deal with mills in each of the towns on either side of us, and they work with the local flower clubs, who forward soil samples to Michigan State University, who in turn mails a very comprehensive analysis back to us. All at no charge, aside from any voluntary donation. This way, you at least know if you should add lime or anything else. I do not water our lawn, but do have success with a two step process of weed and feed, spring and fall. It keeps the weeds in check in the areas where I apply it, but does take a bit of patience, along with an eye on the forecast, in order to a) spread it when the weeds are damp enough for the weed killer to stick, but won't get immediately washed off, and b) so that enough rain is expected in order get the fertilizer into the ground without burning everything.

Old 04-14-17, 03:17 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
It does have a lot of crab grass
Dude, you are running out of time, MI time for pre-emergent herbicide was several weeks ago you need to do that now.

Let that play till June the get with the weed and feed, then an application in late July then in early Sept.

Then after a year you will be asking for help to the constant cutting!

Old 04-14-17, 11:20 PM
B
Dude, you are running out of time, MI time for pre-emergent herbicide was several weeks ago you need to do that now.

Let that play till June the get with the weed and feed, then an application in late July then in early Sept.

Then after a year you will be asking for help to the constant cutting!
I'm not putting chemicals on my lawn, no thanks I'll take the crab grass. It's only in the cornes anyways and it looks nice cause it fills in the bare area.

Old 04-15-17, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My yard doesn't really have much soil to grow in so I don't use weed and feed because if I get rid of most of the weeds I won't have a lawn You could plant clover as it adds nitrogen to the soil. Not sure what else can be done without chemicals, maybe work in some manure but most won't care for the odor.

Larry, I mowed for the 3rd time yesterday and before that I had to weed eat the high spots twice .... but it has been a wet, warmer than normal winter/spring.

Old 04-19-17, 04:55 AM
B
Would it 'hurt' to add grass seed?

Is there some type of dirt that you add on top of the seed and then rake it smooth?

Overseeding I guess it's called.

Actually, today is 4-19-17 and I don't believe the grass is growing yet here in Maine. At least it doesn't look like it. Yesterday was 45F.

Old 04-19-17, 02:04 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
It sounds like you may have time left. It would not hurt to add grass seed but don't bury it deep - if you need to add soil, I would do that first and then rake seed lightly in afterward.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: