Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Anyone using a WIFI irrigation controller for their lawn and garden?

07-24-17, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Anyone using a WIFI irrigation controller for their lawn and garden?

Am considering one from Rainbird and possibly one from Orbit. I know there are some startups also marketing them as well. What are you using and how do you like it?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

07-25-17, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)  
My first question is why do you need or want a wifi irrigation controller? With whatever you choose a rain sensor is probably the most important option. Other than that you rarely need to change your irrigation settings so wifi may be of limited usefulness.

CANADA

09-09-17, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I got the Rainbird ST8X -WiFi controller to try it out on my current home irrigation system, with the goal of moving it to my cabin if it worked well. I find that amy iPhone app works OK providing I'm on the same wi-fi system. However, when I'm away and I want to turn it on or change the schedule I often find that i get a "communication error" message. The other thing I've noticed is that, once it loses communication with my modern / router, it doesn't re-establish it (e.g.: in a power outage situation). To get it communicating again, I need to re-set it by using the communication button on the controller. I like the notifications I get when a zone program gets completed and I like the option of changing the programming from my phone. That said the controller's communication side is a bit finicky and I'm not sure if I'd pay the $ 250 (CDN) to buy another one.

Search this Thread