Lightolier recessed lights

Old 10-10-05, 04:38 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightolier recessed lights

Hi. My house has 9 Lightolier L511WH recessed fixtures. It would appear that Lightolier has either discontinued this model or has changed their numbering scheme because their website no longer lists this model (nor does a google search turn up anything). Does anybody know the specs on these fixtures? Are they rated "air-tight"? Are they IC-rated? (I hope so since the 3 fixtures that protrude into the attic have been wrapped/covered by fiberglass insulation).

If these are NOT air-tight, is there anything that can be done to seal them or would that create a fire hazard?

Jimmie

Old 10-10-05, 05:11 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you examine the cans closely, you should be able to find "IC" on them somewhere if they are indeed IC rated. Air-tight should be easy to verify. Turn on the lights, climb up into the attic, move the insulation away and see if there are holes where the light is coming through.

In most cases, if the cans are not IC-rated, the thermal protect will kick in after a while if the cans are packed with insulation. However, I don't think I'd trust my house to that.

Old 10-12-05, 06:37 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the fast response.

This morning, I received an email response from Lightolier. It turns out that the L500-series has indeed been discontinued but it's only the reflector and not the recessed housing itself. After fiddling with it for a few minutes, I managed to remove the reflector to see if any labels were on the inside of the housing (there were none on the attic-facing side).

Turns out the housing is IC-rated. It also has a statement about meeting air leakage guidelines (which would have been 1991/1992). I haven't yet looked into how those guidelines compare with today's.

Thanks, again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: