Wiring for ceiling fan remote control

Old 07-15-10, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wiring for ceiling fan remote control

Can someone tell me the wiring schematic for a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan remote control unit? See Pic. I recently moved a HB ceiling fan/light and remote control to another bedroom. I don't have the wiring diagram from the original install anymore. I connected like wire to like wire. The dip switches have not been changed.

From Ceiling:
3 lead romex power in the ceiling; black, white, and ground.

From Fan/Light:
4 leads black, white and blue and green(ground)

From antenna unit: See Pic
black = AC in L, white = AC in N (2 on one side)
black = To Motor L, white = To Motor N, blue = For Light (3 on other side)
For a total of 5 leads.

I connected the black power lead to black ceiling fan lead plus 2 black leads on the remote antenna unit for a total of 4 black leads connected together.

I connected the white neutral lead to white ceiling fan lead plus 2 white leads on the remote antenna unit for a total of 4 white leads connected together.

I connected blue cf lead to blue lead antenna unit for a total of 2 leads connected together.

The light works fine from the hand remote, off and on, no problem but I can not turn off the fan from the hand remote or the HI, MED, LOW does not work from the hand remote. When I removed it from other location, the fan was on low speed. Now it is on high speed with no way to turn fan off except at wall switch. I bought it as a remote control fan/light. It was not converted.

Old 07-16-10, 08:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The ceiling wires should connect to the ones on the remote labeled L (black) and N (white).

The other connections off the remote would be function for function.

All grounds together.

Old 07-16-10, 08:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
LOW does not work from the hand remote.
If you have a pull chain switch the pull chain switch for the fan should be set to high for the fan to work properly by the remote.

Old 07-16-10, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ceiling Fan Remote Control

Thank you! You all are fabulous! I had 2 extra wire nuts left over from the move and knew immediately I would ask help with the wiring diagram. It is so much easier to ask for help. You guys have helped me with so many things.....wish there were a way to thank everyone!! We need to have a convention for you all and a big party!

Now.......the light, the fan, the speed are working perfectly! except one small problem......

I have another remote control fan light in another part of the house about 35 feet away and the two remotes are competing with each other! Hahahahaha! When I turn one fan/light on the other comes on too. hehe! I far-away light had me scratching my head for about 5 minutes, why it would be on when I had turned it off. Gremlins! LOL! I will have to reset the dip switches in the current move(easier to get to). I will post this 'How to reset remote control so not competing with each other' in a separate post so it will have it's own topic and help others. Anyway, you all are just so !great! and helpful. We don't need no stink'in Superman or Batman Heros anymore because you are our current today's fabulous heros. Kick them other heros to the curb! Yeah! Thank You! Rae

PS. There is no pull chain for the fan. Only the light has a pull chain. It was an official remote control fan/light out of the box. Not converted.

Last edited by Raemarti; 07-16-10 at 01:06 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 07-16-10, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Thank you very much for your enthusiastic feedback and thanks. This board has a great community of valued posters that have helped many like you. The help is greatly appreciated.

Kudos to all!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: