New Dimmer not working

Old 10-20-14, 12:37 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Dimmer not working

I bought a GE 45612 to dim my fan's light. I also bought a fan speed control switch. The fan control works, but the light dimmer worked once, with a hum when it was not fully on. Now it does not work at all, except for the faint blue led on the switch which glows when it's off. There is power getting to the switch and to the fan. I removed the dimmer switch, touched the line and load together, and the light still did not turn on. The wiring was done by me. I stripped the jacket off romex 12/3 and slid it though 1/2 flexible metal conduit. I also added a 12 THHN wire, because the fan control needed neutral and so I needed 4 wires. The switches are at the end of the run. The bulb in the fan seems uncommon because it is short and low profile. I don't think it's a CFL. I wil try to find a new bulb tomorrow, but I'm concerned about the hum I heard and it not working.

Is it possible the fan's light fixture won't work with a dimmer and I killed it? I checked the connections and they seemed fine to me.

Thank you,
Courtney

Old 10-21-14, 06:51 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It may be the dimmer itself. I had the same issue. I switched out the dimmer for another (one that toggles up and down) and it worked fine.

Old 10-21-14, 08:11 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I stripped the jacket off romex 12/3 and slid it though 1/2 flexible metal conduit. I also added a 12 THHN wire, because the fan control needed neutral and so I needed 4 wires.
None of that is correct or code compliant and needs to be redone correctly.

Let's star from the beginning. Does power come in at the fan?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: