Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I need to replace some very old 2-wire rope lighting

TN

08-11-17, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)  
I need to replace some very old 2-wire rope lighting

Hello everyone... I have some old rope light that I'd like to replace. It's the 2-wire variety that appears to use a standard 110v plug and cord. The connection is made by plunging the 2-wire spike into the rope light and screw the holding caps together.

What I'd like to do is replace is with a more modern LED light strip instead of the rope light.

My question is, how can I use the existing wiring that is controlled via a single-pole wall switch to power the LED light strip. I'm not familiar with how the electrical connection is made but I'd really like to retrofit the existing wiring and save me trips in the tight attic and crawlspace.

The lighting accents behind a ceiling moulding and steps down into a family room.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

08-11-17, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)  
The connection is made by plunging the 2-wire spike into the rope light and screw the holding caps together.
That's called festoon lighting. It's usually found in backyards and at fairgrounds.

appears to use a standard 110v plug and cord.
So unplug the festoon lighting and plug in the LED string.

~ Pete ~

TN

08-11-17, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)  
That's the problem. I can't easily get to where the cord is plugged in. What I'd like to do is cut the old 2-wire female plug and replace it with something that will power LED strip lighting. I need to leave the cord as is and only replace the plug.

Also, it's not festoon lighting. It's small bulbs encased in a clear vinyl/rubber tube.

Group Moderator

NJ

08-11-17, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Ok... you made it sound like the bulbs were connected onto the wire.

So you want to splice onto the existing two wires and you want to know if it's safe.
Just having a buried plug and socket/receptacle is not safe.

Sure you can just splice on to the wires..... is it safe..... not in particularly.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread