Honda Rebel CMX250 2007 starter relay solenoid?

Old 09-01-14, 05:11 PM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Honda Rebel CMX250 2007 starter relay solenoid?

My bike has 1800 miles on it and I have abused it terribly since owning as I know no one with a bike and have never owned one before so have done everything wrong but it has run like a champ until recently.

I press the starter button and it clicks but nothing else happens. One person told me it was the starter relay solenoid that is most likely bad.

Another person did say it was not the brand new battery. The previous owner left it sit all winter without charging and I felt better with a new battery.

It does start with the clutch which is how I've been using it for a week now.

Purchased a new stater relay solenoid off e-bay but it does not fit. Terminals are too large for the connections that are on the bike and holes would have to be drilled larger.

I have found one on e-bay but cannot read the size of the fuse. It does look exactly like the one I took off the bike today to replace which the one off e-bay did not, just the description stated it would fit - I know, duh.

I know nothing about electric or bikes and I'm a senior citizen.

Please help an ignoramous.

Old 09-02-14, 09:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
So, did you get a new battery for the bike?

Old 09-02-14, 12:14 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I don't want to chase you away, but you really should Google Hondarebelforum. A lot of kindred souls with rebels.

One other comment, you say that you have done some crazy things. I hope that does not include riding without a helmet.

Old 09-02-14, 09:45 PM
S
Yes, I did get a new battery for it and no, I never ride without a helmet.

Thanks

Old 09-03-14, 08:05 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Glad to see that you 1. wear your helmet and 2. that you jumped on the M/C forum.
If you have a multimeter, you can always work your way through the circuit to determine were the is power and where it stops.

Enjoy your ride. Mine is a VTX1300R

Old 09-13-14, 05:14 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does the motor turn over in gear if you try to "Hop" start it?

Old 09-13-14, 05:26 PM
S
It will clutch start. Luckily, I live on a hill and have to go downhill to the road. And, my place of work is also on a hill and I have to puch it to get to the hill but not too bad. It does start in 2nd gear by using the clutch and going downhill.

I took it into a motorcycle repair shop and am now waiting for a new starter to arrive on Monday.

Hoping that's all that's wrong.

Old 09-13-14, 05:32 PM
P
I have seen starters go bad I would also check to make sure the charging system is working correctly

at idle the voltmeter should read about 13 to 14 volts

good luck

Old 09-13-14, 05:45 PM
S
Thanks, it doesn't suprise me. I've left the kickstand partially down when in gear and tried starting it forever before I realized what was happening. I've abuse this terribly from shear ignorance and am hoping when I get the bike back, I will take better care of it.

Knowledge is power.

Old 09-14-14, 05:29 AM
P
I have ridden since the 70's. I work on motorcycles, and have restored quite a few.

I don't understand what you mean by abuse? Have you dropped it? Do you do the preventive maintenance? Motorcycles are just like autos, or any other equipment. They need regular service, and care. If you take pride in taking care of you, then you should have pride in taking care of what you have!

Old 09-21-14, 07:05 AM
S
It needed a new starter. Thanks for all replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question