Issue with Craftsman Snow Blower

Old 01-04-10, 07:49 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Issue with Craftsman Snow Blower

I am having an issue with my Craftsman Snow Blower - Model 536909800. Purchased this spring from garage sale. I am able to get it started (electric or manual) and it will run for approx. 10 minutes fine, then it will die on me. Generally it starts to have issues idling, then dies. Generally have let it sit for awhile and then will restart and run for another 5 min before doing the same. I noticed there is no air filter. Is this the cause and does anyone know the part number for finding a new one? Also, the muffler needs to be replaced, anyone have a part number or know where I can find one that will work?

Thanks for your suggestions and input.

Old 01-04-10, 08:01 PM
M
Try leaving the gas cap loose to see if that will cure the stalling. If it does, then a new cap is needed.
Snowblower engines don't have air filters because if dry snow drifts over the engine it will plug an air filter in no time.
Can't help on the muffler.
HTH,
Mike

Old 01-05-10, 05:59 AM
Z
What would restrict the air flow then to the carberator? Something appears to be missing, as nothing is attached the carberator.

Thanks

Old 01-05-10, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by zheine
What would restrict the air flow then to the carberator? Something appears to be missing, as nothing is attached the carberator.

Thanks
Nothing restricts air flow on snowblowers. In the winter, you don't have dust flying around like you do in the summer. There should be a "heater box" covering the carb & muffler.
You have an HM80 engine and muffler part number is 35056. You can get them at any small engine shop.

Old 01-12-10, 07:36 AM
Z
Carburator Issue

I found a new muffler and that helps. I am having issues with the engine ideling too high and when I try to rude the throttle is dies. I have tried adjusting the carberator with no luck. When operating and throwing snow the engine appears to work properly, but when not throwing snow the engine idles high and occasionally dies on me. I thought it had something to do with the carb, and removed the bowl and check the seals. Everything appeared ok. I sprayed some carb cleaner, drained the fuel, changed the fuel line (showed signs of stress) and changed the oil. Bought this thing used so no idea when last oil change was. Added seafoam to the fuel and tried to operate, same problem.... It will only run with full throttle and idles way too high. Also, all the fuel has drained out through the carb. Im going to put a shut off valve on the fuel line, to keep the wife happy, but does this mean my float is sticking? Any suggestions.

Thanks for all you input and help!

Old 01-12-10, 09:10 AM
You need to remove the carb, take it apart and sok it in a carb soaking solution. Need to soak it for about 2 hours. The inner holes are varnished up and the only way to remove the varnish is by soaking. Then rinse with water and blow out all the hols with compressed air. While you have it apart, hold the float to your ear & shake it. If you hear a sloshing, replace it as it is filled with gas and no llonger floats.

Old 01-12-10, 06:46 PM
sounds like maybe it would not idle due to dirty carb and someone turned in the idle speed screw to keep it from idling. I got a freebie in that condition.

Old 02-11-10, 06:48 AM
Y
I know this post is a month old but, I just wanted to add what happened w/our craftsman snowblower(8.5). The float was exactly the problem. Ours kept stalling and sputtering. My husband thought it was fuel related but, he went thru the montions of cleaning out the lines etc.
After that didnt work and 2 plus feet of snow, he had about had it. So...he removed the float, pinched off the gas supply to avoid flooding and crossed his finger. Sure enough, it ran like a charm...didnt flood ..nothing.
Sears is supposed to come and figure out the problem (which they prob never would). We are under warranty due to a recall but, if we werent, I do believe my husband said he was going to drill a small hole to make the hole bigger (not sure which one, gas line maybe) or put a shut off valve on it.
He said its a factory issue which, im sure, wont get addressed (briggs).
Anyway, hope that helps someone who was just as frustrated as us!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: