Were These Snapper- Simplicity's built in the USA ?

Old 08-01-15, 02:10 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Were These Snapper- Simplicity's built in the USA ?

Were these built at the Ga plant or oversea's? Just doesn't look like any Snapper I've seen. I can see it's a homeowner version. Hope picture attached.

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-15, 04:13 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Why are you not contacting Snapper with the model and serial # and asking instead of DIY sites and just getting guesses?

Old 08-01-15, 08:38 PM
I
Well, first off. I don't own the machine. It's listed for sale in my area. 2nd. I have never gotten squat from the Snapper site even on the Snappers I do own. And yes I supplied all the #'s they ask for. Reason #3. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here. Several are professional small engine mechanics that have seen about everything out there. I value there opinions.

Perhaps my question is off topic for a Do it Yourself Forum. My apologies.

Anyone care to recommend a good Forum for discussing used lawnmowers?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-15, 11:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
This is a forum about outdoor power equipment... so why would you make someone feel bad for asking a question about outdoor power equipment here? That's what we're all about. Why would someone make guesse at where it was made? Either we know or we don't.

The simplicity snappers are built in the USA. I don't think they are built in the old snapper plant in GA though. Briggs and Stratton owns simplicity/snapper now. They aren't the top of the line IMO and that is a low end ztr. I believe that has cheap Eaton transmissions under it and some less-than-sturdy deck hanger parts that are fine if you have a smooth manicured yard, but don't hold up well to a lot of banging into trees, roots, etc... If I was looking I'd pass if that's the $1400.00 one.

Old 08-02-15, 08:21 AM
I
Cheese, thank you so much for taking the time to offer your opinion. Do the old Snapper yard Cruisers (Home Owner Type) not have the cheap Eaton Transmissions? And for those that care. I own one of those. And I'm trying to determine if it's worth restoring.

IH

Old 08-02-15, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, they had eatons under them too. I say cheap, and they are cheaper made than the better units but they do okay for what they are (if they were big expensive pumps and motors, the mower would be out of the intended price bracket). Often on older units one is much stronger than the other.

What's wrong with the one you have? If the engine runs well, the transmissions are working well, the deck is decent, then I'd say go for it.

Old 08-02-15, 04:25 PM
I
Again thanks for your input. Engine is locked up.

Old 08-02-15, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the rest of the mower is worth it, I'd put a good $300-400 used engine on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: