Exterior trims for doors and window

Old 04-16-14, 10:06 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Exterior trims for doors and window

I am not sure what materials these are, feels like stucco but it could also be something like plaster of paris. In any case this stuff frames all the windows and doors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30070[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30071[/ATTACH]

and some of it has cracks and this one sort of crumbled due to someone drilled a Tapon from the top.

Now I have a hard time thinking these were molded in place are these sold preformed in strips just like regular door trims?

How would you repair it? Just use some exterior masonry adhesive?

Attached Images   
Old 04-16-14, 10:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
They might come premolded but you'd have to search around for a retailer. How old is the house?

Old 04-16-14, 11:08 AM
M
marksr,

house was built 1964, however I am not sure those are original. The windows certainly are not so I am thinking these were added to later on.

One of the pitfalls of foreclosure homes you can't find the previous owners to ask questions

Old 04-16-14, 12:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be inclined to think the are original to the house but who knows for sure. Do the neighboring homes have similar detail?

Old 04-17-14, 08:48 AM
M
marksr my neighbor houses do not have this strange moulding and trim.

I have seen places that sells this stuff, some higher end home centers but those are really plastic moulding shaped and textured with a "stone" look. This is solid and made of some cement type materials, as you can see from the last picture where it crumpled it is not some plastic faked stuff.

Old 04-17-14, 01:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't recall the plastic but I painted a lot of stucco homes [in fla] in the 80's that used a shaped styrofoam piece to add detail to the house. I think it was embedded in mortar and then covered with mortar/stucco after it dried in place. With yours being cement based I'd be inclined to think they were formed/made on site.

Old 04-18-14, 10:19 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
if it was mine, I'd just replace the base molding if possible... get a piece of pressure treated wood and use the table saw molding kit or router to fab something pretty close to the base, then prime paint with alkyd base product.

Old 04-18-14, 11:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure you could shape a PT 2x to match the cement molding but if you could, it would have to be dry from the PT process before any oil base coating would adhere long term. I'd be more inclined to shape up repairs using mortar, probably multiple coats..

Old 04-27-14, 05:36 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I really think your best bet is to call a few local stucco contractors. I'm sure someone can tell you more about the material. This appears to be cast cement material which I am sure was purchased from a supplier and screwed and/ or adhered to the surface of the stucco with a cement based product or adhesive.

If you google precast cement moldings you should come up with some info. That may help you understand a little better.

Old 04-27-14, 05:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I had forgotten about the concrete/cement shutters and other details that were added to some fla block homes back in the 70's and 80's. I don't recall ever having painted that particular design .... but then memory is no longer my long suit

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: