Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Paint Chipping

CANADA

11-02-15, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Paint Chipping

Hi, first time posting! Painted the trim in my bathroom, sanded and cleaned the trim first then used BIN 2 for the primer, with 2 coats of latex paint. I started to paint my rad and put tape on the dried (approx a week curing time) trim and all coats came off with the tape. I'm pretty sure the original paint is latex as it comes away with acetone. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-02-15, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Welcome to the forums!

While I've never used the BIN2, it should have adhered well to either latex or oil base enamel. Did you do any sanding first? What cleaner did you use? did you rinse it off? Denatured alcohol is used to test latex paint, acetone can dissolve/soften oil base coatings.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

04-08-17, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)  
bonder

Hi
had the same problem went to HD and got bonding agent in the paint section and applied it and works fine

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

04-08-17, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Not all tapes are the same, but to quote the faq from frogtape.com:

"For application to fresh paint (at least 24 hours old), we recommend you use FrogTape® Delicate Surface. FrogTape® Multi-Surface should only be applied to cured surfaces. In relation to paint, “cured” does not mean the same thing as “dry”. The curing of paint takes place on a chemical level and is not just the evaporation of liquid from the paint. A cured paint will be a solid state throughout, not just dry to the touch. A latex paint may feel dry within hours after painting but factors such as humidity, paint color, and the number of coats will impact how long it takes it to actually cure. We recommend waiting at least 3 days and testing FrogTape® Multi-Surface in an inconspicuous area if you have concerns about your paint being cured."

Short answer, your multiple coats of paint were not fully cured and/or your tape had too much adhesive for the job.

Super Moderator

PA

04-08-17, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)  
FYI, the OP never came back after posting a year and a half ago.

In our hearts, we all know that it's wrong to harm an animal and that we should take action to protect them -
Patrick McDonnell

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

04-08-17, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Ugh. why can't we prevent old threads from being resurrected?

Super Moderator

PA

04-08-17, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)  
I know. It's one of my pet peeves.

In our hearts, we all know that it's wrong to harm an animal and that we should take action to protect them -
Patrick McDonnell

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!

Search this Thread