1999 Taurus heater problems

Old 12-25-07, 09:26 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1999 Taurus heater problems

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus , the heater wont blow hot air, only cool air and the defroster only blows cool air as well. I flushed the radiator and installed a new thermostate but this was of no help.
The A/C works just fine !
I need to know what to do to get the heater working again.

Old 12-25-07, 10:51 AM
R
I Have the same exact problem on a 2001 ford taurus and have not been able to fix it yet. Everytime i add coolant to the overflow container somehow it also empties out do you have coolant in your overflow?

Old 12-25-07, 11:01 AM
B
Make sure your cooling system is full; might try taking off radiator cap, start car, let it idle til it gets warm on gauge and see if coolant level goes down. Fill it up til it won't take more and fill reservoir to appropriate fill mark; close up rad cap and see if you've heat. If coolant isn't low, then there is likely a mechanical (vacuum)/electrical issue with a blend door on the air handling unit under dash.

Old 12-25-07, 02:45 PM
M
turn by hand

You should be able to turn the control valve by hand. It is located under the hood on the a heater hose. Sounds like the actuator that moves it went south.then there is likely a mechanical (vacuum)/electrical as stated before. I do believe on your Ford it is vacuum as it is on mine.

Old 12-25-07, 10:16 PM
R
Is it possible the heater core is clogged. I have read online that it is very common on these cars. If so what is the easiest way to flush it?

Old 12-26-07, 04:57 AM
M
flush procedure

The best way to flush is remove both hoses on is in and one is out flow. Take a garden hose and hook it up to one of the hoses either one but if possible to the outlet hose.
It sounds easy but sometimes getting to them is a pain.
I would first make sure that it is clogged by feeling the hoses with heater on they should be hot. Also unless your cooling system has been totalty neglected or you put in some stop leak I would put clogged heater core as last on the list of heater failure.
To replace a heater core is a PITA at best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: