Lifetime replacement of brake pads... Does anyone remember it being for wear?

Old 04-03-17, 12:22 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lifetime replacement of brake pads... Does anyone remember it being for wear?

Right off the bat - YES, i realize brake pads are a wear item.

That said, I can remember making a point to buy the brake pads that came with the lifetime replacement 'warranty'. and getting pads replaced once when they wore out.

But going back to Advance auto today, they say no, the lifetime replacement is for defects only.

I called other stores / spoke to managers and they said the same thing. Googling, I saw a bunch of people mentioning autozone. Called them and they also said defect only.

Just want to know if anyone else remembers what I am remembering - that you'd get a one time replacement free brake pad.

Old 04-03-17, 01:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I always buy the lifetime brake pads/shoes. Autozone has never given me any issues with replacement. I seldom go to Advance but they ought to be the same. I tend to keep vehicles a long time and have never had to pay for replacement pads once they've worn out again.

Old 04-03-17, 02:02 PM
B
you get 1 free replacement, right? then after that you buy the next set and repeat process?! Why are all the stores saying defect only. You loyal to 1 store / they know you / doing it as a favor to long time customer do you think? They filing it under defective? Or is it 'replace when worn'?!

Old 04-03-17, 02:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the fine print does say one time only but I've had brake pads replaced under warranty [worn out] a 2nd time on a few vehicles. Don't know how they do the paperwork. I normally trade at the same Autozone so they know me there but I'm a diyer, not a pro mechanic so I doubt they give me any special treatment.

Old 04-03-17, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I have NEVER heard of anything being referred to as "Lifetime Warranty" that was only designed to be invoked for defects. I mean, really, when was the last time ANYONE saw a brake pad "fail" because of a defect? What's the point of buying the more expensive "lifetime" over the standard ones since it's probably the same pads in different boxes? If this is now universal, it is certainly a new policy. I'll be inquiring if I remember next time I'm in an Advance or A-Z.

Old 04-03-17, 07:26 PM
B
The tow guy:

thanks! Please let us know what they say.

Old 04-03-17, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I was doing some reading. It appears that Advanced is 50/50 on their lifetime warranty. Half the guys got the replacements and the other half did not and got the manufacturers defective warranty spiel.

Autozone apparently stands by their lifetime warranty.... 100%. I didn't find one complaint about Autozone reneging on the warranty.

If you want to do some interesting reading look into the reviews on Advanced.
They are certainly less than stellar. I'd say call corporate but that apparently is not effective either.

Old 04-04-17, 02:37 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
when was the last time ANYONE saw a brake pad "fail" because of a defect?
Happens a lot. Used to work in the brake engineering group, not impossible that the pads can have manufacturing defects causing them to break apart.

BTW I always recommend the use of OEM pads, the amount of development that goes into the correct material, shape, coatings for every vehicle is incredible, after market pads are pretty low grade materials (tested way too many) and usually very noisy/low performance items.

For brake linings you get what you pay for!

Old 04-04-17, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe happens more up north? I've driven a million miles (literally) and haven't seen it, nor have I seen it on any family member's vehicles. FWIW, I think lifetime warranties are largely marketing schemes; they're just gambling that you will not still be the owner when the part wears out or you will have forgotten where the part came from or lost your receipt (less of an issue nowadays).

Old 04-04-17, 05:10 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I replaced a couple rotors last summer and "thought" the Bendix Brake Pads were still good (still 7/16" thick) but upon disassembly, discovered that the clips which held them securely inside the Caliper Piston were rusting and falling apart . . . . so much so that I couldn't consider re-using them.

This had nothing to do with the working wear surface (which was still perfectly smooth); only the chintzey metal spring clips that are riveted to the backs of the pads to hold them in position relative to the piston.

Is Bendix still an American product (which I always thought was high quality) . . . . or has the name, as a Trade Mark, simply been sold off to some company overseas ?

Old 04-05-17, 05:15 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Got a set of lifetime replacement pads for my 05 Ram yesterday at the local (Connecticut) Autozone. The only thing different is I had to leave a deposit (cost of the pads) until I return the old pads (purchased in 2012) in the box containing the replacement pads.

Old 04-05-17, 06:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Core charge is a pretty common, not just with brakes.

Old 04-05-17, 08:33 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Tim,

My name is Mike, and I'm an AutoZone employee (AutoZoner) with 4 active ASE certifications and several years in automotive service training and several more in experience as a technician.

First off, I'd like to apologize for the crappy customer service you recieved. You should not have walked out of that store feeling disappointed like that.
It's more of a customer service problem at fault here, not the products and service...

You see, Tim, what the employee you delt with SHOULD have told you is this:

The Duralast, Duralast Gold, and Duralast Gold CMAX brand brake pads DO have a lifetime warranty.

If you purchase these pads, as long as your pads still have friction material still on the backing plate, and have not worn down to the metal, AutoZone will replace the worn pads for free with the same type of pad for as long as you own your car. This is what makes Duralast pads such a great deal.

However, if the pads are unequally worn, worn to the backing plate, or mangled, your warranty is void because something else is causing the problem. Brake pads and shoes do wear out, after all. However, they should wear out evenly. If they do not and rotors and drums are damaged by them, then this is a brake system problem, and not a pad problem, and the AutoZoner should then help the customer find the real source of the issue. Brake pads and shoes should also never be allowed to wear completely out. This is not good for your car and it is not safe.

You see, very few "lifetime warranties" are full warranties. A "limited" warranty means that your product is covered by a warranty under certain set standards.

AutoZoners are not supposed to tell their customers "no". Customer service is supposed to come 1st at AutoZone.

Thanks and apologies,
Mike
AutoZoner
Aurora, Colorado

Old 04-06-17, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Good post, I think that pretty much covers it.

Old 04-06-17, 06:58 AM
B
Mike

Thanks for the post.

not to be argumentative, I simply am ignorant.

I would think pad wear not being the same across all the pads would be a perfect example of defective pads - if 1 pad is out of spec with regard to the material composition, that one would wear quicker / slower than the other pads and be defective.

and wearing to the backing plate negates the replacement - That's something I heard previously when I was being told the replacement policy covered wear.

as a do it yourselfer, I'm always concerned that I'll bring the pads in too soon that the counter guy will say they aren't worn enough. So if I accidentally wait till I get to the rivets / ruin the disks before taking the pads out, why would that invalidate the warranty? But then we're back to replacement when they wear out

So I bought a set of Wagner / Thermo Quiet pads at something like $75 for my 2010 honda civic in Nov, 2015 from Advance Auto parts (they even put on the receipt 'limited lifetiime repalcement'. They need to be replaced.

I was expecting to get them replaced from Advance under the lifetime replacement but they said no.

Is there supposed to be a place that covers wear on the brake pads or Do I resign myself to buying every set (rather than every other) at Advance or Autozone? If it's the latter, I'll be buying the lower cost pads, knowing that I'm not 'prepaying' for the 2nd set.

Old 04-06-17, 08:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Uneven pad wear is almost always a sign of a malfunctioning caliper! either a defective caliper or collapsing brake hose. I've never had any issues getting a free replacement if the wear on all 4 pads is similar but if one pad is gone while the other 3 have more than half their life left - that isn't likely to be covered under warranty. A defective brake pad would be more likely to have had the lining fall off, not wear thru.

Old 04-06-17, 01:15 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Or a non-sliding caliper. Caliper guide ins and pads seats must be lubricated routinely. Just like tire rotation. Got front tires off - lubricate the pins. 5 min job goes LONG mileage.

Old 04-06-17, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
The only true lifetime warranty pad I had some 20 years ago were bendix. I often bought these brakes at Strauss auto here in NJ. I think I still have the warranty card. They did away with that lifetime warranty full replacements long ago.

You know the old adage " you cant get something for nothing".

With that said I usually put AC delco only parts on my GM vehicle if price allows..

I try to stick with OEM.

I wouldnt put duralast on any car I owned unless it was a beater car. And even then I would have reservations.. Including wearever and the like.

Old 04-06-17, 03:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I've used a lot of Duralast parts and have gotten good service out of them ... and you can't beat their warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: