1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l straight 6

Old 06-22-17, 05:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l straight 6

i have a 97 jeep that was shutting when it was idling or when you would slow down at a light. Though come last week it started stalling even at full speeds. then Monday it stalled and will try to crank over but wont i have changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires and distributor cap and yet it still isnt starting. i need to know before i buy anymore parts as i dont have alot of money if anyone else knows what could be the problem. i know i have read jeeps can be quite hellish for this problem but just need to know what i should be looking for.

Thank You for any help

Old 06-22-17, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Have you verified if it has spark? If so, then it's likely a fuel delivery problem. Could be as simple as a clogged filter or as complicated as a bad fuel pump or bad PCM or ECM or a wiring harness issue.

You said "will try to crank over but wont". Do you mean it will turn over and try to start or won't turn over at all?

Old 06-23-17, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to do a fuel pressure check on it. You could remove the fuel filter and see if any trash comes out of it.

Old 06-23-17, 07:58 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
there are about 7-8 things that can cause this. i would first have codes ran. if no codes i next try taking a screw driver and tapping the pcm. they have an internal "relay" that hates hitting bumps when it fails. then you have a crank sensor that can fail when hot, thats harder to test a scanner is best used to watch it. i would not think fuel as much due to you need less at idle then at cruse, but not impossible.

Old 06-24-17, 06:42 AM
D
yes it has fuel

it has fuel it is strictly a spark issue... i have even sprayed pure eather into the air intake to test the fuel issue and still no spark. so no sure what else to look at

Old 06-24-17, 06:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
You will need to get codes read, check voltages at different points in ignition system. Will need wiring diagram and volt meter. Here is a page of Jeep people that may know your problem.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep...eshooting+blog

Old 06-24-17, 08:01 AM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
would probably suspect a crank sensor for no spark as the most common problem could be other causes though, when you check for spark would also check at the coil, have seen the coils go bad also but they would generally still have a very weak spark that you could still see at the coil just not at the plug.

Old 06-27-17, 08:42 AM
F
sensor, deoxit

The crank position sensor should be viewed as a service item, they do fail from heat and time. They also fail erratically, like you have described. So I second the view that this would be a decent probability of being the problem.

You should also get some Deoxit, and take apart all accessible electrical connectors, clean with contact cleaner and dab on Deoxit. Older car's all have contact corrosion, often near invisible layers of oxidation, that can cause all kinds of "electrical" problems. It is not costly but for your own meticulous labour, but well worth doing for a long term keeper of a car.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: