Ford Thunderbird thermostat

Old 06-23-17, 07:29 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Ford Thunderbird thermostat

I had to get the AC recharged on my 88 T-Bird (302) and when driving it home, it never got up to the normal range on the engine temp gauge. I'm thinking that the thermostat may have been changed once in its almost 30 years, but anyway I am thinking that a Ford thermostat may be the smart way to make sure it fits right. Is there anything else I should be looking at here before I take things apart?

Old 06-23-17, 06:20 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
No way recharging the AC affected your engine cooling system since they are entirely separate. Auto manufacturers specify a t’stat temp rating to insure the engine operates as designed. While operating an engine with a t’stat that is stuck open isn’t harmful, it isn’t operating efficiently including emissions. I suggest getting the t’stat replaced.

Old 06-23-17, 07:50 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
i bet it was stuck open for a long time. now that your fan is running full for the a/c its keeping your temp down. time for a t-stat.

Old 06-23-17, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I think you'll find the Ford part might be quite expensive compared to a premium quality part from somewhere like Stant (available through Autozone and others). Add the price of a gasket and you are all in for probably $11. As said, you just need to make sure you get the right temperature.

A bad stat can set an engine code also if they had them that far back.

Old 06-25-17, 09:00 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Thermostat

I can get the Ford Brand for 20 bucks, not worried about it. I have been a lot happier across the board with OEM replacement parts, and having been a parts guy myself, I have learned how the aftermarket cuts corners. Of course in some cases the branded part comes from the same place, and you have to watch for that.

Old 07-13-17, 02:59 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I always use a file and make sure the surface of the housing is flat. Stops potential leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: