Scanner and diagnostic tool?

Old 07-08-17, 02:51 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Question Scanner and diagnostic tool?

What type of diagnostic tool do you use?

I have a Innova 3100abs. Which is good for reading and clearing codes, looking at freeze frame data.

I am trying to find an inexpensive tool that will read out live date, preferably in graph form, to aid in troubleshooting problems.

Looked at the AutoEnginuity's Scan Tool and it looks promising but wondering if you need to buy all the expansion packs also.

Anyone have experience with other tools, computer based or stand alone, that don't cost thousands of dollars to own or maintain?

Thanks.

Old 07-08-17, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Mine is the deluxe model from Harbor Freight. Pretty happy with it... used it to identify problems on my previous f-150 which, after doing a lot of research, I narrowed down to intake gaskets and the isolator bolts that hold down the intake. After making the repairs, the scanner also helped me verify that the repairs had made drastic improvements... comparing the before and after graphs and live data proved that inconclusively. I was quite pleased with myself!

Old 07-09-17, 03:12 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
I've been quite happy with a basic ($25 cheap) bluetooth code reader,
and basic (free) android code reader applications- Torque, Piston, Dyno Scan, ELM-scan.

The free versions read and reset error codes,
and some free apps allow you to change basic manufacture settings (headlight delay etc, not valve timing or performance).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: