Replacing a GM fuel pump

Old 04-25-06, 11:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing a GM fuel pump

I'm replacing a fuel pump on a 1986 GM 454. It's in a boat, but that doesn't really matter, except it's even more cramped and they get to charge you more because it's a "marine" application. Anyway, does anyone know a trick for keeping the pushrod up and out of the way long enough to put the fuel pump in place? I've tried removing it and wiping it down to increase the friction, but that didn't help.

Old 04-25-06, 02:18 PM
B
If it is anything like a 350 there is a bolt in the front of the block by the edge of the motor where the pushrod is. Remove this bolt and replace it with a longer one. The new longer one will press against the side of the push rod and hold it up. Only thighten it enough to so the rod doesn't slip back down. When the new pump is in place remove the longer bolt and reinstall the short one again so nothing is rubbing the push rod and no oil leaks out the front.

Hope that helps,
Byam

Old 04-26-06, 09:42 AM
S
Heavy grease will work too.

Old 04-26-06, 03:58 PM
B
Wouldn't the grease end up in the oil pump and/or filter? Or is that not a problem?

Byam

Old 04-27-06, 09:20 AM
S
Originally Posted by Byam
Wouldn't the grease end up in the oil pump and/or filter? Or is that not a problem?

Byam
If you are worried about that use vasoline,it melts at low temp. But I never worried about a little grease, dosen't take much to bind it, the pin is close tolerence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: