1998 Windstar Engine Quits

Old 09-10-07, 10:00 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1998 Windstar Engine Quits

I have a 1998 Ford Windstar 3.0 and a couple weeks ago I was driving up town for about 10 to 15 min and the engine quit and I waited about 10 min and it started and took off and went home. The next day it did it to me again after running up town about 15 min and then I thought maybe it was vapor locking so I took off the gas cap because everytime I take it off to fuel up it releases air and it was running good for about 4 days and then all of the sudden it quit again and now it wont start when I try to start it it sounds like its trying to get some fuel but Its not getting enough to get it started.I Was wondering if maybe its the fuel pump or something else? Thanks for your time

Old 09-13-07, 11:08 AM
S
or I was wondering if it might be the fuel pump relay?

Old 09-13-07, 02:59 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You never said if you tried to unscrew the gas cap this time to see if you hear that sound of air.

Old 09-13-07, 03:15 PM
When it quits, Is your Check Engine Light on?? If it is, does it go out when you crank the engine over with the starter?? This will tell me if the EEC Power relay is working & we can go from there. Roger

Old 09-13-07, 03:16 PM
S
no I ran it with the fuel cap off and it still did it.

Old 09-13-07, 03:19 PM
S
to tell you the truth I didn't notice I will run it again and see if it does it thanks

Old 09-15-07, 07:54 AM
M
All new generation cars like your Windstar have an electric fuel pump with electronic fuel injection which pretty much eliminates vapor lock commonly experienced on carburated and mechanical fuel pump cars of older generations.

In my humble opinion I think your fuel filter is clogged which would explain why it starts after it sits for a while.

And if it isn't the filter I would still replace it anyway since the van is almost 10 years old.

Let us know what you find.

Git R Done.

Old 09-15-07, 08:01 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'll second the change the fuel filter suggestion
Unless it's know good/new, it should be changed anyway

Old 09-15-07, 04:42 PM
S
Thats funny earlier today I did change the fuel filter just to see if that would help. there was a little blockage but not much I will let you know what happens

Old 09-27-07, 11:50 AM
S
okay it quit again on me after a week or so of running fine when it quit the battery and oil light came on an I tryed to start it again and it started and shut off right away I went under the hood and switched the fuel relay and the A/C relay to see if that would work but no luck tried it a couple more times but after a while it would not fire waited 10 min. and started and shut off right away. got a tow home and tried it again about 2 hours later started ran for about 10 sec. and quit. Went out this morning started it drove it around the block and parked it and it did not quit. I was wondering if it might be a fuel pressure regulator and if there is any way to check it or any other ideas
Thanks for your help

Old 09-27-07, 12:07 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
When it quits on you, look on the top of the engine for the fuel rail (line that feeds the injectors). There is a a little schrader valve on the rail. That's where you attach a fuel pressure gauge. If you depress that valve a little spurt of fuel should shoot out.

When you do this make sure you have the key turned to off. Also, since you may have a hot engine, use a cloth to shield that spurt of fuel from hitting anything.

If you don't have the fuel spurt (it isn't a lot), then you have either pressure regulator or fuel pump problems.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 09-27-07, 12:17 PM
S
okay thanks I will give that a shot

Old 09-27-07, 02:29 PM
K
if you switched relays and it still didnt start its probably the pump, can you hear the pump run with key on engine off
you can usuually hear it run, if not you might try and get a fuel pressure guage hook it to the schrader valve and see what pressure you have, should be at 30 to 45 psi koeo
also usually if a regulator goes bad it will be either high pressure or low if low pull the vacume hose off to see if its sucking through valve...

Old 10-30-07, 02:27 PM
S
I just wanted to thank everybody for there help in this matter. I broke down and bought a new fuel pump a couple weeks ago and it hasn't quit on me since so I think it is fixed. for now any way. Well thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: