96 Dodge Grand Caravan Won't Start

Old 03-25-09, 02:16 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
96 Dodge Grand Caravan Won't Start

Was running fine, while pulling into a parking lot, it just stalled out. Tried to start it up, it wanted to, but it stopped. could hear the fuel pump whirring, know it isn't fuel pump. Checked the relays, they seem okay, checked fuses all okay? Any ideas?
thanks

Old 03-25-09, 03:06 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How low on gas were you? My Dodges run out of gas well ahead of time, so I no longer take chances. Did you check for spark? If the motor spins over faster it would have thrown the timing belt.

Does it have a distributor with say a Hall effect pickup coil in it?, or do you have a crank and cam sensor? What type of coil(s) set up?

Old 03-25-09, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by jhennessy
. Checked the relays, they seem okay, checked fuses all okay?

I wont pick on anyone, But I am amazed at how many people do this.

What does a "Good" relay look like as opposed tp a bad one? They arent necessarily Good just because they Click and arent Torched to a crisp.

Now , Having said that, Caravans of that era come in several "flavors" ... Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder??? The 6 cylinder also comes in several varieties, which can immensly change the troubleshooting approach.

Old 03-26-09, 11:16 AM
J
The exact type of vehicle is 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE,
6cyl, 3.3 F.I. engine. It's getting gas, no spark...Replaced Crankshaft Sensor, it wont turn over

Old 03-26-09, 04:04 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhennessy
....., it wont turn over
It won't turn over? Or, it turns over, but it does not fire up?

Old 03-26-09, 04:56 PM
Ok,

How did you determine it was getting gas?????Pressure in the fuel rail doesnt mean its getting to the cylinders. There is a Common power supply for Injectors , Coils, And fuel pump relay. In the Underhood fuse panel, you will find a fuse, and a relay, Marked A.S.D. .

Swap it with the Air conditioning relay, and try it.

What made you try a Crank sensor? There is another sensor in the circuit for CAMSHAFT POSITION. They must be synchronized. Unplug the CAM sensor....(Front face of the engine, Towards the center, Slightly to YOUR left of the Motor mount bracket). With the cam sensor unplugged , see if spark returns.

Old 03-26-09, 08:43 PM
K
one easy way to determine a fuel or ignition problem is to shoot carb cleaner into the tb,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: