2001 pt cruiser, weird noise upon start up while driving out....

Old 10-06-10, 04:15 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2001 pt cruiser, weird noise upon start up while driving out....

Pt cruiser starts ok, but in the morning after start up as I pull out weird front end noise....and also hear the noise as I make the turn out. However, soon after noise disappears....any ideas, could it just b a belt or something simple. Hope I have given enough information for someone to help...thanks

Old 10-06-10, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Possibly power steering related. Check the fluid level for starters.

How many miles on it?

Old 10-06-10, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You didn’t describe the noise. Is it a click, squeal, knock, or something else? Furthermore noises that disappear once a vehicle is started or warmed up can be attributed to any number of things. Rather than guess, is it possible for you to make a “You Tube Video” of the noise and post it?

Old 10-06-10, 06:51 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
what kind of noise? squeak, rub, tap, scraping noise, screeching, high pitch whine, thumping, there are all kinds of noises that are "weird".

first things that comes to mind is loose steering pump belt, but in 2001, you prolly have serpentine anyway. belts have tendency to do so "on cold" and under tension. belt noise is a very noticeable one, high pitch ear piercing whine.

tomorrow morning, pop the hood open, then either ask someone to start engine for you and try to locate the noise source, or start it yourself and then step out and listen to it.

if your hands are not shaky and you have good coordination, a regular wooden stick works great as a stethoscope. i grab one end, place thumb on "my" end of it, place the opposite end against an engine part in question, and place ear firmly against my thumb. you'll be surprised how well you can hear noises from the engine. so, you move stick from a part to a part and listen. just need to be very careful, as you will be placing it close to moving parts.

Old 10-07-10, 04:24 AM
B
thank you...u described the sound very well -- will ck this out when I start up this morning.....

Old 10-07-10, 07:40 PM
unfortunately, heard it too many times.
i found this diagram:

2002 Chrysler Pt Cruiser Belt Routing Diagram

so, looks like it depends on the engine. one does have separate V-belt for power steering pump. if yours has same, you can try priming it with beltease from any parts store. if it helped, then you found the culprit and belt needs to be replaced. adjusting tension will simply postpone the agony.

if it is not belt, then it is either idler pulley or tensioner pulley. but those are bearings gone bad, and they sound different, have crunch to the noise. can be very high pitch one though.

Old 10-08-10, 04:03 AM
B
ok fluid was low....and noise was really bad yesterday morning, went to shop and learned that it is a bad sensor? Today the shop is going to replace the sensor.....I appreciate your comments and thanks....will let u know more later as shop appointment is at 1:00......not sure what the sensor does....it could very well b just the belt and I'll be spending more money then needed....

Old 10-08-10, 06:01 AM
(Quote) ok fluid was low....and noise was really bad yesterday morning,

(Quote) went to shop and learned that it is a bad sensor?

(Quote Today the shop is going to replace the sensor.....

(Quote) not sure what the sensor does....

Your above quotes speak for themselves. I’m sorry to be the one to tell you this, but your mechanic is an amateur, a thief or
both.

I say that because, sensors don’t make noise when they fail, and they don’t cause noise when they fail.

Furthermore, why wouldn’t your mechanic tell you the function of the sensor? Makes me a little suspicious of what your mechanic is hiding and not telling you.

Although you never clearly described the sound to us, it does sound like squeal a belt would make when it needs replacing. The proof of that is the statement you made when you said; “The sound was really bad yesterday morning". Confirmation of a belt issue is simple. You should do this test before you take your van to your mechanic.

Start the van.

With the engine running, thoroughly spray the entire belt with woman’s hair s spray.

If the sound lessens, or disappears altogether you have a belt issue, and replacement is necessary.

Note: It may not be the belt at all. Above you state that "the fluid was low". So add some fluid and see what impact that makes on the noise?

You really should get a few more mechanics opinions on this issue. To me it sounds like the mechanic you are using is setting you for a big time rip-off.

Old 10-08-10, 06:29 PM
a sensor causing weird bad noise? IS HE SH****ING YOU?

describe the noise, please.

Old 10-10-10, 08:51 AM
well, i guess, we do not deserve to know - and learn from - what this was caused by and what exactly was it. what can i say.

i came across prolly the most unproductive post yesterday morning, on autowiki.
fella asked about a specific P error code for his honda. so, folks started digging out possible solutions for him, bless their hearts.
his final response was "went to dealer had it fixed for $170". that was it. end of the thread, total enigma, no explanation, what, how, nothing. how lame is that?

Old 10-10-10, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk
well, i guess, we do not deserve to know - and learn from - what this was caused by and what exactly was it. what can i say.

i came across prolly the most unproductive post yesterday morning, on autowiki.
fella asked about a specific P error code for his honda. so, folks started digging out possible solutions for him, bless their hearts.
his final response was "went to dealer had it fixed for $170". that was it. end of the thread, total enigma, no explanation, what, how, nothing. how lame is that?

ukrbyk,

Don’t let it get to you buddy. Just the nature of the work we do, and the people we meet. As you well know, it takes all kinds. Check this out. Happened exactly 3 weeks yesterday.

Friend works with someone who owns BMW Boxster. Drivers window had 13 separate scratches. Looks like they were done deliberately. Friend tells him to come to me to get the scratches out. Scratches weren’t deep so I was able to get them out. Took less than 30 minutes. Since he was recommended to me by my friend I didn’t charge him anything. Guy leaves and comes back about 3 hours later with:

$200.00 cash
A suitcase of Becks
A weeks worth of chicken fried steaks with all the trimmings.

Old 10-10-10, 12:04 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sam, I couldn't agree more with you. This forum is about giving to others. While not everyone who might be surfing sites, or looking for something for nothing understands this, but most do, and if the answers aren't always perfect, or exact as they can never be with this approach and without seeing the vehicle, the majority of people know they are from people who are trying to help others. People helping out on this forum have different levels of knowledge, and experience but as a group come together for the same purpose. We all try to give to others. For those that give there is alway a reward. Sometimes a case or two of German beer and a fist full of cash would be great, but not necessary. Everyone who contributes on this site is only trying to help, support, and teach others. How great is that? Not being an ACE MASTER or OEM tech and only a car manufacturing guy I learn every single day. This is one of the best auto tech places to drop by to really learn.

Old 10-10-10, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
The only gratification you should expect here is a big "Thank You!" every once in a while. Very often...when a problem is solved folks just go on their way....might see them a year later...might not.

I hate the not getting the resolution as well..but it happens every day.

Old 10-11-10, 04:02 AM
B
The rest of the story.......and first off, thanks for all your replies.......this is what happened...the shop cked the car and THOUGHT I needed a new sensor.........when he took the old sensor off, it had telfon tape on it..........and suggested I contact the dealership as they replaced rack in April.....I immediately contacted the dealer and they picked the car up and now I am waiting for the dealership to replace the rack.....no questions asked, so I can only imagine that the dealership somehow messed up.....I hope to get my car back on Tuesday.....The dealer did pay for the tow and rented a vehicle for me.

Old 10-11-10, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
So you guys going to step up and apologize to breeze now?

Old 10-11-10, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Possibly power steering related.
And Tow Guy was on it!

Old 10-12-10, 04:04 AM
B
So sorry getting back to u, but did not have a computer handy to respond immediately. I am very grateful for all the responses and advice received from this website. Without this website I probably would have spent unnecessary money---All the responses gave me education in properly dealing with the situation. Got the PT back yesterday, and all now appears to b fine....dealership backed up their warranty and placed the rack at no charge. They also paid for the towing and allowed a rental car. Because I had documented the issue, I had the dealership FULL SUPPORT! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO RESPONDED........

Old 10-12-10, 09:12 AM
breeze,

Glad to hear it all worked out well, and that we we able to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: