AC?? on 2002 Mazda 626 2L 5 speed

Old 07-08-12, 06:27 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC?? on 2002 Mazda 626 2L 5 speed

2002 Mazda 626 2L 5 speed,

AC has never been serviced, recharged or otherwise been an issue until now. With the recent heat wave I noticed that the AC was not cooling satisfactorily (during the heat of the day not at all). So I purchased a recharge kit with a cheap (but not the cheapest) reusable Freon applicator which included a pressure gauge and Freon trigger.
Turned on the engine and AC (during the hottest part of the day-100 degree ambient temperature) and connected to the high port and (without adding Freon before, during or afterward), the gauge cycled from 20-30 psi to 80 psi with notable on and off clicking coming from the AC system sounds every 5 seconds or so that coincided with the pressure drop of ping to 20 and then clicking again and quickly climbing back to 80 and then clicking again and dropping back to 20 psi. The sequence from 20-30 to 80 back to 20-30 happened every 10 seconds and never stopped until I turned off the ac. With the AC off, the pressure (without applying Freon) pressure gauge went to 100 psi. When the ignition was turned off the pressure pegged at 150. Again Freon was ever added. This morning it was much cooler and it did the same thing albeit at lower temp 15 psi on low side and 50 on high side.
Is this issue or do I just add the Freon.

Old 07-08-12, 07:09 AM
A
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
This "kit," does it have two separate pressure gauges, high and low, or just one?

Your pressures sound low. 20 psi, on the low side, is low and will trip the low pressure cutoff. When the compressor is off the pressures equalize throughout the system.

The high pressure side though can easily reach 2 - 2.5x the ambient temp.

The issue is likely that you have a leak that needs to be fixed. Then it can be recharged.

Old 07-08-12, 07:27 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks aandpdan

This "kit," has only one pressure gauge.

is there any reason not add freon at little freon at this point and see if it holds. If so how much would be expected to raise it an operating condition. Is there a way to check for leaks.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ne...#ixzz202bdKubI

Old 07-08-12, 08:20 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
You:
Turned on the engine and AC (during the hottest part of the day-100 degree ambient temperature) and connected to the high port and (without adding Freon before, during or afterward),

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...#ixzz202pTGXmx

Wise man:

Locate the low pressure charging port on the refrigerant line on your car. This will be on the larger tube, usually near or on the accumulator. Connect the quick coupling and make sure it is not leaking.

How to Recharge the Air Conditioner in a Car: 12 steps

The rest is history. You can not charge a/c at high port. Glad you did not hurt yourself, btw.

PS Far as I know, high and low ports are different shape, and one can not even connect charger to high port. Not sure what you've done and how you managed it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: