Contact cleaner for plastic?

Old 05-27-15, 01:10 PM
T
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Contact cleaner for plastic?

Hello. The outside of reservoir is grimy. Soap and water won't work. Thinking about spraying liquid cleaner on it and using long wire brush. Any suggestions on type of cleaner to use? Need something that (1) reasonably strong that (2) won't damage reservoir and that (3) has a strong stream because reservoir hard to reach.

Thanks.

P.S. 1999 Toyota Corolla.

Last edited by TonySexton; 05-27-15 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Simple Green or Krud Kutter does a good job and you can use the stream spray setting to direct it. Be advised though, the plastic could be stained by grease and oil and will never be really back to original. It can actually "soak in" to the surface. Like coloring an egg for Easter.

Old 05-27-15, 03:56 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Hi, Tony. I know what you are describing and in my opinion it just isn't worth the effort. Those plastic reservoirs get covered in muck and the heat of the engine bakes it on. I have never had much success cleaning them. To check the level I just snap off the lid and take a look. Remember, as long as the inner tube is submerged beneath the surface of the water it is fine. If it seems a bit low then add some water or antifreeze/water mix.

If you really do want to try to clean it use some hand dishwashing detergent and a long, but narrow stiff bristle brush. First wet it with a garden hose, squirt the detergent on the reservoir if possible and some detergent on the brush. Rinse it all off with the hose when done.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-15, 07:35 PM
T
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Perhaps that's the problem I'm having because I just can't see through these reservoirs. The Simple Green/Krud Cutter was a good suggestion, but it's too pricey. In the end, yes, it likely isn't worth the effort. Regards.

Old 05-28-15, 07:28 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it's the coolant reservoir the gunk preventing you from seeing the level might be on the inside of the container. As engines wear more contaminants start to blow past seals and into the oil and water passages. This causes a dirty, oily mess to cling to the inside of the plastic reservoir bottle. I've had a little success cleaning them out with a long bottle brush & degreaser. VERY little success, really.

Eventually I give up and use the oil dipstick to check the coolant level in the bottle.

Old 05-28-15, 11:44 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Any engine oil in the coolant signifies a blown head gasket. there are no "seals" that can allow engine oil into the water jackets. The only "oil" that should be in the coolant is the soluble oil that is a component part of the antifreeze.

Using the oil dipstick is not an acceptable method of ascertaining the level in the coolant reservoir. Use a wooden stick or just use a flashlight to shine some light in and look.

Old 05-30-15, 05:20 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Cleaner

The Simple Green/Krud Cutter was a good suggestion, but it's too pricey
LA's Awsome Cleaner is $1.00 per 32 oz. bottle at Dollar Tree.

Old 05-30-15, 06:05 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
all i Know about Oil In car i used 20 50 Oil for my Engine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: