Attaching to metal lath

Old 11-27-14, 12:46 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Attaching to metal lath

From my research and from reading this post, I think the internet needs pictures of this construction, so here:

Name:  hallway-wall-3-pics.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  27.0 KB

Originally Posted by tightcoat
What was used for steel studs in those days is like a miniature steel truss for a roof today or it could be framed with 3/4" channels installed with a base plate and shoe clips.
Some of the "studs" in my wall are embedded in concrete from what I remember. Those narrow flip phones are handy for looking in holes, but it's been a couple of years. These type studs are narrower and thicker than modern studs. Even if they're oriented so that a hole in the wall would go through the "web" of the stud, and your aim is perfect, you'd be drilling through more material than you would with a modern stud, and you'd be weakening it more. I don't believe drilling though them is an option. Breaking off plaster and installing wood backing seems to be the right way to install heavy things or anything needing to take a load like a grab bar, which is my next project.

Originally Posted by tightcoat
The channels or trusstuds as they were called are often spaced 12" o.c. Also there were other ways of installing electrical boxes that let them be placed in places other than the sides of studs.
Good and hard to find information.

Old 11-27-14, 04:07 PM
B
Oh, wrong section for this...

Old 11-30-14, 12:03 AM
B
I found more good stuff in a chapter called Metal Lath Partitions of the book Building Construction, page 376, by B.C. Punmia; Ashok Kumar Jain; Arun Kumar Jain

From this I learned that the studs are also called channel studs. I wish it specified how to brace them "for thicker hollow walls."

And see Report of the Minneapolis Survey for Vocational Education, January 1, 1916, page 169, on Google Books for more terms:

Name:  lath - old book.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  51.7 KB

Last edited by Borad; 11-30-14 at 12:21 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: