Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Matching Brushed Swirl pattern in Plaster Ceiling

Old 08-02-15, 07:20 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts

I posted and earlier request for help in repairing a rather complicated swirl pattern in a plasterd ceiling. Found the pattern on a UTUBE video and the video showed how to repair it by using a stiff bristled brush. I found a brush for applying driveway sealer (of all things) that matched close enough to do my job after cutting it down to 8". The guy who suggested it said that the company that made the brushes for this pattern went out of business in 2009 and he bought 30 of them for plasterers etc at that time, but had no source for them today. He said it was a "dual brush (had two parts to it) and I can believe it,. I can hardly believe that somebody out there can't at least get me a picture of this brush. Every ceiling in my house has this pattern (built in 1963)

Old 08-02-15, 07:41 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you have the name of the company or the name of the brush? I don't see how it can be searched without some info.

Old 08-02-15, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's a link to a company I have purchased drywall tools from. I can't help in the particular brush you need but this company offers quite a few.

Drywall Texture Brushes

Old 08-02-15, 05:47 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just a few things to consider.

First, are you sure it was done with a brush, a lot of swirled plaster jobs were done with a sponge worked when the finish plaster and sand were not fully set.

Secondly, the fact that you match the swirl doesn't mean the patch will necessarily blend in since the original finish has undoubtedly been painted several times and has diminished the sharpness of the texture.

When it comes to plaster there are several variables from.... How much sand was added to the finish plaster to the time lapsed to allow the finish to partly set to the technique of the craftsman to the tool (brush or sponge or float) used.

When I have to repair a sand finish swirled ceiling I usually end up doing the entire ceiling over with either veneer base coat and sanded putty coat or just Keene's cement with sand added and installed over plaster weld.

A good reason to hate anything with a texture to it, smooth finish is the preferred finish for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: