Fridge space quarter inch too small

Old 08-27-15, 01:28 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fridge space quarter inch too small

I got a replacement fridge under warranty that I was told is the same size, but it doesn't fit where the old one did. If I measure the fridge I get 36", if I measure the space where the fridge is to go I get 36.25" at the top and bottom and 36" in the middle.

One side is drywall with the pantry being on the other side, the other side is wood with a divider before the counters start. Obviously one of these sides is bowed a little bit.

With it being so close to fitting can I just sand down the drywall in the middle re paint and then slide the fridge in?

If so what grit of sandpaper to start and finish with in order to shave off what I need?

Thanks,

Old 08-27-15, 01:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Have you set a straightedge on the wall to see if it is bowed?

Old 08-27-15, 01:33 PM
S
Not yet as I am at work and just being relayed the information, but from the sounds of things it is the other side that is bowed, and that is up against a granite counter so not sure what I can do there.

Old 08-27-15, 01:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Drywall is typically 1/2" thick, if you remove half of that the drywall is prone to break

Old 08-27-15, 01:39 PM
S
If it did it's up against the fridge where it would never be seen. The fridge sticks out past the opening. I just want the easiest way to get it in there.

Old 08-27-15, 02:07 PM
A 36" refrigerator should measure 35-1/2" wide always, they are designed to fit in a 36" opening. With the cheaper metals used now, it might be the fridge that is bowed. Seen it many times.
If the fridge opening is between 1/2" drywall and a refrigerator end panel I would strip off the 1/2" drywall and replace with 1/4". The outside and inside corners would need finished as well as the top but wouldn't be too tough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: