Creating cat enclonsure

Old 06-09-15, 06:24 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Creating cat enclonsure

I live on a second floor and have a balcony where I want to build a simple enclosure so that I can let my cat out. I was thinking about using something like chicken wire. Whatever I build can't be permanent. So I'd have to be able to set it up and tear it down in minutes.

My balcony is 9 feet by 9 feet, but I only need to have 2 sides covered as the other 2 have walls.
I was hoping to use something like chicken wire, but be able to take it down and set it up quickly. It would also be nice if it had a curve at the top so that my cat wouldn't be tempted to jump on the ledge.

Any suggestions on how to build this?
Thanks!
Name:  IMG_2234.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  49.7 KB

Old 06-09-15, 06:39 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Suppose you don't let the cat go on the balcony? Otherwise, try cardboard.

Old 06-09-15, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Maybe try fishnet, hung from hooks in the ceiling.

Old 06-09-15, 07:11 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I would enclose all 4 sides plus top and bottom. Build simple wood frames such that they can be quickly assembled together or taken apart. One would have a door, but having all six sides enclosed would ensure no escapes. A carpet for the bottom.

I didn't see any trees in your picture, but there was a news story a few years ago showing one cat owners jungle paths, right out into the trees, but fully enclosed. Mr/s kitty could mingle with the birds and squirrels.

Bud

Old 06-10-15, 01:05 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Many years ago I had a neighbor that lived in a third floor apartment. Her cat would jump onto the railing and then go around the wall to the adjoining apartment and eat the food of the e cat living there. One day that cat came out and chased the first cat back and in the process she fell, not just three stories, but all the way to the underground apartment. The cat was okay but I thought she would never again try to steal the other cat's food. Hah, lot I knew as it wasn't a week and she tried again. The woman finally had to make a barrier of something (I forget as it was a long time ago) and the cat even tried to climb over that.

Or, you could swap cats with me and take Toby. He's afraid of heights and he can't jump.

Name:  HissCat1 (300 x 360).jpg
Views: 291
Size:  36.3 KB

Old 06-10-15, 07:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I would suggest simple fast and cheap...make a frame using 2x2s and staple some aluminum screening to it. The frame should be the same size as the balcony walls are.

Or, even simpler, but not cheap....buy a "Giant Breed" folding metal crate for the cat.

I've done both

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: