Dodge Ram power steering pump

Old 01-01-11, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Dodge Ram power steering pump

Had an interesting happening this week. I thought the power steering pump had gone south on my Ram 3500 Cummins. No power steering, no power brakes. I was prepared to buy a new pump and put the PITA in. Found out luckily power steering fluid aerates and begins to thicken like motor oil. With the new found thickness the pump can't work it through the system and locks it up.
So for those who have high mileage vehicles, keep an eye on your fluid level and inspect the color and viscosity.
I was able to suction it out 5 or 6 times, refilling in between. It finally broke free and steering and brakes are restored.
Turkey baster $2.50; 2 quarts power steering fluid $8; restored steering and brakes without spending $300 and 5 hours changing pump PRICELESS!!
No questions, just for information.

Old 01-01-11, 03:48 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i have seen similar situations many times.
p/s fluid will get low from normal/minor seepage - then a cold front comes through,the fluid contracts / the level drops too low to function & the customer assumes he has developed a 'leak' overnite.
same with brake fluid-normal pad wear will cause the fluid to slowly drop-no one ever tops it off. / cold front comes through-& the brake lite & abs lite come on/ they have an entended warranty & are mad that i cant find a warrantable problem

Old 01-01-11, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, same scenario. I figured the pump wasn't truly at fault since it was puking out fluid from the cap. In essence it was pressurized by something. And it happened the night it snowed 12" right when I needed the 4wd and six tires on the ground. Thanks for the confirmation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: