99 F 250 v10 cutting out when calling for power

Old 07-22-15, 01:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
99 F 250 v10 cutting out when calling for power

I have a 1999 f 250 with the v10 motor. It starts idols and runs fine for about 10 minutes until the engine gets heated up. Once the engine is warm it will run fine until you call for power (over 2500rpms) then it skips and cuts out. Let off the accelerator and it runs fine again. Only does this when driving down the road. It will rev up fine in neutral. Changed the air filter, fuel filter, disconnected the exhaust to make sure it was not a plugged catalytic converter. Computer is showing lean exhaust but no other codes. Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-22-15, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Was there no mention of O2 sensors in the codes? It would be my first target.

Old 07-22-15, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I also participate in motor home forums and many motor homes use the v10 engine. One common problem that keeps cropping up is fuel pump failure or related wiring to the fuel pump, including the relay.

A fuel pump failure would not directly set any codes.... but a lean code could be set just because of lack of fuel.

Old 07-22-15, 07:10 PM
J
No O2 sensor codes. That is what I was originally thinking.

Old 07-22-15, 07:14 PM
J
Fuel pump was going to be one of my next things to replace. I was not leaning that way because ithas been going on for almost a month. I figured if it was a fuel pump it would have quit by now.I am still hoping it's not because that is going to be a process. I will check all the vacuum lines next and if that doesn't work then the fuel pump would be the next obvious thing. just don't understand why it would only do it when the engine warms up if it is a fuel pump

Old 07-26-15, 06:00 PM
T
You could buy a fuel pressure gauge to measure fuel pressure for a fraction of the cost of a new fuel pump.

The issue is whether the fuel pressure is low even at idle (where you can measure it), or the pressure drop happens only at higher flows (higher power). I don't know how you check for that. Perhaps someone else knows a method. Certainly run the engine with the gauge for a while since that is when the problem shows up.

But lean code and problems on high power demand are one of the telltale signs of fuel starvation. If it were happening with a cold engine clogged fuel filter might have been likely. But if it only happens after a while, then fuel pump becomes more likely.

I had an '87 mazda 323 which went through many fuel pumps (water got in fuel tank and from that point on fuel pumps were warking in perpetual rust -- until I plastic coated the inside of the gas tank). I had noticed that as the fuel pumps, were getting close to failing, they would work adequately in the beginning, then after driving a while, they would get .. sort of tired. A bit like my aging body, I feel ok in the morning but as I get closer to the point of my final failure, I give out earlier and earlier in the day.

Old 07-26-15, 06:18 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Once the engine is warm it will run fine until you call for power (over 2500rpms) then it skips and cuts out.
That also sounds a bit like a coil pack problem. I am not familiar with the V-10 engines at all, but if it has coil packs at the front of each cylinder bank I'd inspect them carefully for cracks and/or corrosion inside the terminals.

Old 08-02-15, 04:21 PM
J
Turned out to be the fuel pump. After trying all the simple stuff with no luck I decided to drop fhe fuel tank and change the pump.

Old 08-02-15, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

I have a 1999 Ford van with a diesel engine. I'm waiting for that fuel pump to crap out.

Old 08-26-15, 06:53 PM
It most likely is fuel

I had a similar issue with my truck and it turned out to be the high pressure fuel rail

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: