Lost driver side electric window and door locks

Old 09-27-16, 07:57 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Lost driver side electric window and door locks

I have a 2012 Dodge Ram with 30000 miles on it. I tried to put the driver side window down today when I got to a job, and it would not work. (all of the other 3 windows would) Ok so I figured I lost the motor in the door. Then I tried to lock the doors with the door lock buttons. They would not work either. (they do work with the key fob though) Not sure where to look for a solution to this issue. Are the door locks and the windows tied into the computer?

Old 09-27-16, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
With many of today's vehicles there is a BCM in every door. The BCM is supplied with power and a data line. I know GM's work like this.... not really sure on your Dodge. I'd need to dig further.

It is common for the wiring harnesses to break at the door hinge point but not usually in a vehicle that new. I'd start by checking all the fuses..... inside the vehicle and under the hood.

In checking around I've seen two "cures" talked about. One is to disconnect the battery for five minutes. The other one mentioned the door wiring harness has a nylon connector that can start to come apart.

Old 09-28-16, 09:53 AM
W
Pete, I live in Ohio, just so you know. Without doing anything, the driver side window is now working. The driver side door locks also work, with the key fob AND with the passenger side buttons door panel buttons. If locked the driver side door WILL open with the door button, but I cannot lock it with the lock button right next to it. (the manual says the key fob MUST be removed to do that, which I have done) I have a feeling that something has come loose under the driver side door and window control pad, but I do not see any obvious screws to remove it from the panel. There are 6 torx bolts that hold the door panel in place, but thought perhaps someone had removed one of these control pads once or twice? I can still disconnect the battery if you think it is worth a try.

Old 09-28-16, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
No.. disconnecting the battery won't make a difference since the equipment started working.
It's very possible that the plug for the door is coming apart.

Usually it's under the dash near where the harness comes thru the boot.

Old 10-03-16, 08:18 AM
W
Since I had all functions working from the driver side door control panel, (except the lock door button.) and all functions worked with the key fob or with other remote buttons, I gambled and bought a new control panel for the door. It was a great moment when it worked! I would really like to do an autopsy on the control panel to see just what happened to the button, but I figure it might come in handy later for something.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 10-03-16, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Glad you got it working. I went to a cookout the other night and took my cooker in my Dodge Ram (2001), and halfway down the driveway I get the incessant "CHECK GAUGES" light and ding-ding which is famous in Dodge. It showed zero volts on my gauge. It cranked fine 20 seconds ago. I decided to go ahead to the cookout, since a diesel doesn't require electricity to run. Checked the voltage when I arrived and it was 14.2. Huh? Turned it off and restarted and all was fine. Dodge's are full of surprises.

Old 10-03-16, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Since those door control units are multiplexed...... there is a chance that it got water in it, fritzed and then it dried out leaving one switch inoperative.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: