Two gas appliances on one gas line

Old 06-15-09, 11:40 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Two gas appliances on one gas line

Can I install a gas dryer on the same gas line as my water heater?

The gas line coming into the laundry room is 1/2 inch line. I want to install a T-connection after the on/off valve and run one line to the gas dryer and the other line to the water heater.

But, I was told that it might cause carbon monoxide doing it this way. Is this true?

Old 06-16-09, 07:29 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
It is probably a bad idea. Gas piping is sized to allow the requisite amount of gas to flow at the supplied pressure for each appliance that is connected to the piping. Adding another appliance to the system that was not originally designed for would cause all the other appliances to perhaps be starved for gas. Generally speaking a 1/2 inch gas pipe can only service a single appliance.

Old 06-16-09, 10:11 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply. So that means in order to have two appliances on one gas line, the line would have to be 1". That way both would be on a 1/2" line coming off the T-connection.

I appreciate the info. I'll pass it on to the tenant.

Old 06-17-09, 09:29 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
No, it is not that simple. First of all a one inch pipe is four times as large as a 1/2 inch pipe, not twice as large. Gas piping must be sized according to all the appliances that will be attached and this sizing calculation is from the gas meter to the last appliance. You cannot just randomly start adding appliances or changing pipe sizes on an installed system. It must be recalculated and sized appropriately.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: