Finishing basement bathroom- stub out positions/vents

Old 08-23-13, 10:19 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finishing basement bathroom- stub out positions/vents

We recently bought a home with an unfinished basement that was roughed in for a bathroom. I was able to easily identify the stub outs for the sink, toilet, and shower drain (all in a line in that order: sink, toilet, shower) , but have a couple questions I was hoping you all coud help with.

1. The main vent line runs in the wall behind the toilet drain, it's the only vent in place. Is there any reason that I couldn't/shouldn't tie vents from all three fixtures to that? The wall that they are in has already been framed/insulated.

2. I was able to get a free pedestal sink to install- but all the installation instructions I've come across drain into the wall, right now the stub drain is coming up from the floor. Is it possible to still use that or am I going to have to move the drain? And, would moving the drain be more of a process than just scrapping the freebie getting a vanity sink?

3. The supply lines are all in place and easily identifiable (red/blue in the wall behind the sink and shower placement, blue behind the toilet closet bend) With this kind of set up will I have to do any soldering?

Forgive my ignorance, I've only started learning up on this for the past few days. Thanks!

Old 08-24-13, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I'll let Lawrosa or some of the others answer about tying in the vents, but as far as your sink line, most likely it will be covered by the wall you will build and you will wye off it to your sink/vent through the wall. Posting a picture of your stub out would help us give better advice. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-24-13, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hi... Welcome...

Bathrooms in basements are difficult because they are piped all differently.. Some wrong, some right. Sometimes homeowners thoughts on what pioes may be are often wrong from what I see posted here, although you may be spot on...

1. The main vent line runs in the wall behind the toilet drain, it's the only vent in place. Is there any reason that I couldn't/shouldn't tie vents from all three fixtures to that? The wall that they are in has already been framed/insulated.
What size is this vent? It runs from floor to ceiling? Does it have any fixtures from upstairs flowing in it? If it does it is not the vent and cannot be used...

Normally there would be a 2" stub in between the floor joists or around the outside walls up by the sill plate... If its not there you would need to get a vent up and out to the roof.

Should be 2"

2. I was able to get a free pedestal sink to install- but all the installation instructions I've come across drain into the wall, right now the stub drain is coming up from the floor. Is it possible to still use that or am I going to have to move the drain? And, would moving the drain be more of a process than just scrapping the freebie getting a vanity sink?

As chandler stated that drain, should be 2", will be in a wall. So on designing the bath you need to keep that in mind... With all the pipes in place you should be able to in vision it. This pipe will also serve as the vent for all the other fixtures.. This is normally where you would see a vent up in the ceiling. Its would be above and near this pipe. Most likely in the same bay left or right..

( That is if plumbed correctly in the slab too. We can only assume its correct. You could go to the town and see if any permits were pulled. If so there should be drawings of what they did. If there is not a permit that was taken out I suggest you do...)

3. The supply lines are all in place and easily identifiable (red/blue in the wall behind the sink and shower placement, blue behind the toilet closet bend) With this kind of set up will I have to do any soldering?
Good they used pex.... No soldering but if you are going to DIY you will need the special tool to finish the job. Pex requires several different tools for the variations of pex. We dont know what you have...

Last pictures are your best friend... If you can post a few of all area it will help us help you better...

Old 08-24-13, 05:27 AM
Z
Name:  photo (14).jpg
Views: 16082
Size:  21.1 KB

Thanks for the quick responses-you guys are great!

Here's what I'm looking at. The back wall had already been framed/insulated, the sink drain juts up against a stud and there is just over 12 inches from the frame to the center of the closet bend. You can kind of see the black vent line (what I'm thinking is the vent line anyway) it doesn't attach to any other pipes, and goes up and out of the house in the front yard.

Old 08-24-13, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
the sink drain juts up against a stud
Thats the pipe on the left.... Is that 2"?

there is just over 12 inches from the frame to the center of the closet bend.

So you will need to put a 2x4 down on the floor and make a wall most likely. That will be an issue if you measured right for the toilet...That will bring your toilet center to 8" with a new finished wall there.

You can kind of see the black vent line (what I'm thinking is the vent line anyway)
I dont see it... If that dirty vertical mark on the sheet rock then thats peculiar. You need to verify that goes into the slab.

I would say knock the test cap off on the sink pipe on the left and get a flashlight and look down there. What do you see? Then pour a couple cups of water down there. Does the water stay in the pipe or drain away? I would want to know if there is a trap down there...

Last...That white pipe on the right???? Radon??? Something else????

Old 08-24-13, 06:28 AM
Z
The pipe on the left does measure 2 inches

The black vent line is directly behind the closet bend,behind the plastic in the frame. It does run into the slab and has a cap about 9 inches above the slab. We were hoping to use the existing frame to attach drywall to- why do we need to put in another 2x4 down next to it?

The pipe on the right is what I'm thinking is the shower drain, because it has red/blue PEX capped off directly behind it in the frame just like the sink drain on the left does. It's pretty big, but I couldnt think of any other reason to have hot and cold supplies there in the bathroom if it wasn't intended for a bath.

I'll try the water test to the pipe this morning and see how that goes--thanks so much for this again!

Old 08-24-13, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
If you look down that white pipe what is in there? Is it a 2" line? With trap?

It does run into the slab and has a cap about 9 inches above the slab.
So a pipe comes up behind the toiler out the slab and has a cap 9" above the slab???

You can kind of see the black vent line (what I'm thinking is the vent line anyway) it doesn't attach to any other pipes, and goes up and out of the house in the front yard.

The above quote does not make sense in relation to the statement about the 9" cap....??????

Yes please do the water test.....

But I think that pipe on the left may be the vent... The one with the cap I believe is the sink... You normally put a tee on that pipe, then pipe the arm for the sink to your location....Then continue that pipe up out through the roof...

Thats plumbing 101....

Old 08-24-13, 07:48 AM
Z
Name:  photo (15).jpg
Views: 8650
Size:  19.4 KB

The first pic is of the inside of the giant white pipe on the right- there's a "cap" of some sort that says "to hand tighten, turn 1/4 turn", I tried turning it to get it loose, but couldn't get it to budge (may be a job for the hubby to do)

I tore the plastic off to get a picture for better view of what i'm talking about. I double checked and confirmed that the black pipe goes into the slab and out of the house without connecting to anything else.

Attached Images  
Old 08-24-13, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
black pipe goes into the slab and out of the house without connecting to anything else.

Out of the house where...? You mean the roof right?

If that is in the wall the sink drain( if it is) Should of been in the wall too...

If that pipe on the left is for the sink it needs to tie into that vent ....

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-24-13 at 04:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: