Converting Double Basin Sink to Single Basin Kitchen Sink

Old 02-27-15, 05:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting Double Basin Sink to Single Basin Kitchen Sink

Hello,

I am working on converting a double basin sink to a single basin kitchen sink. My issue is the plumbing, I am attaching an image in case my description is not accurate. I have two black ABS pipe coming from behind the cabinet, each has a trap. The one on the right enters the cabinet higher than the one on the left (garbage disposal). My question is, can I just cut back the right pipe and cap it, and use the left pipe as the garbage disposal and drain? Thanks in advance
Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 26358
Size:  40.9 KB

Old 02-27-15, 06:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Good move in the single deeper sink. I did the same thing and have often wondered WHY have two basins? You have an option. I would deep six the disposer. They are more problematic than helpful. You can cap off the pipe going into the wall. Then you can reconfigure the right pipe to where it reaches dead center and install the sink with no problem. What are your thoughts on the disposer? Do you just gotta have it?

Old 02-27-15, 06:07 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Why are there 2 different size pipes coming out of the wall? Use the 1 1/2" pipe on the right. Should not have 1 1/4" pipe in the kitchen.

I don't have a problem with disposers provided they are not used as the primary means of waste disposal. A few errant pieces of rice or the odd pea that makes it into the bottom of the sink is fine. I disapprove of the marketing that professes that the disposal will "grind bones".

Old 02-27-15, 06:19 AM
Hey Thanks for the welcome and the quick responses, well i think "the general" aka wife would prefer a disposer, so I think I would like to keep it. So keeping the pipe on the right and capping the one on the left is the way to go, regardless of whether or not i keep the disposal, correct? Now, the pipe on the right is to high for the sink to fit properly. i should be able to cut that pipe back and add fitting to get it in the correct place for a rear center mounted drain? A quick measure showed the disposal would fit but be a few inches from the floor, are there any issues with this, or just that i am losing a substantial amount of storage space? thanks

Old 02-27-15, 06:34 AM
Is the right side 2"? if so I'd cap it or whichever one isn't 1½". No need really to move the pipe. Cut it off about 2" from the wall, instal a 45° ell, and an abs to thread DVW adapter. The swing arm of your drain will go into it about 45°. Example:

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 50538
Size:  17.2 KB

Old 02-27-15, 06:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Rule #1. Water will only flow downhill. Make sure your pipe adjustments will accommodate water flow. The outlet of the disposer is higher on the body, but may be a problem with a higher located drain arm through the wall. Good measurements are needed.

Old 02-27-15, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I have some measuring to do but i think i have the solution but if not, I will be back on here. Great first experience on forum!

Old 02-27-15, 08:52 AM
I run into this quite a bit. For me, I always use the lower trap arm. It gives you more options in case you want a disposer or a branch tailpiece.
The trap on right looks to high to be usable for all except a shallow sink with tailpiece only.
The trap on left is 1-1/2", it just looks smaller from the perspective.

Old 02-27-15, 09:27 AM
Thanks, I was hoping to use the lower left arm with a disposer. So, I can just cap the one on the right close to the wall and plumb the left side to meet the disposer.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-27-15, 09:56 AM
I was hoping to use the lower left arm with a disposer. So, I can just cap the one on the right close to the wall and plumb the left side to meet the disposer.
Doesn't look like much of a change would be needed but maybe a linger drain elbow or extension on the drain elbow. Just swing it around.

Just as a note from what I have read you can only have one trap so that was probably never code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: