How to connect sink trap to this wall pipe?

Old 11-30-15, 04:03 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to connect sink trap to this wall pipe?

Pictures:
Postimage.org / gallery - IMG 20151130 182631430, IMG 20151130 182737924, IMG 20151130 182806960

My upstairs bathroom sink isn't draining and I wanted to try to fix it myself because my lease only covers me if the clog is in the main branch.
(didn't find anything with a 15 ft snake, so maybe it is the main)

I took apart the trap so I could snake the drain at the wall. The pvc joins the wall at an old metal pipe with external threads. A metal collar is screwed into those threads and it won't budge. The length of pvc from the trap that attaches to it was just shoved in there without any noticeable sealant of any kind. It appears there was a little plastic ring keeping the connection reasonably tight, you can kind of see it in the pictures. But by the time I noticed it it was already damaged so I pulled it out.

I don't know if I've made any progress on the clog because now water just leaks from the connection at the wall. What do I need in order to make a proper connection here?

Old 11-30-15, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
welcome to the forums.

You need to get a new washer and remove the nut below..

Put the nut on the pipe then the washer.. Then insert pipe and tighten nut...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59485[/ATTACH]

This shows black abs but you can see the washer and nut...

Attached Images  
Old 12-01-15, 02:42 PM
W
Thanks for the help, I got the joint sealed and it looks like I've made some progress on the clog. Still a slow drain, but better than a total blockage! A little more snaking might do the trick

Old 12-01-15, 03:04 PM
A
Your slow drain may be a blocked venting issue, not a blocked drain. So no matter how much you snake and clear the waste line, if the vent stack is blocked the drainage will be affected. You may have to locate the vent stack outlet and snake it. If it's not too difficult, feeding a hose into the vent with high water pressure, may do the trick. But...you have to know that all the vent connections are water-tight. It's not unusual for the connections to become rusted from the inside out, with metal pipe, especially if they are a 'wet vent' or sitting in waste water for a period of time due to improper drainage.

Old 12-01-15, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Your slow drain may be a blocked venting issue, not a blocked drain. So no matter how much you snake and clear the waste line, if the vent stack is blocked the drainage will be affected. You may have to locate the vent stack outlet and snake it. If it's not too difficult, feeding a hose into the vent with high water pressure, may do the trick.
FYI

Water will flow with a blocked vent. The sink drain is the vent.. Vents are so other fixtures do not suck the water out the trap...

Old 12-01-15, 03:44 PM
A
I understand that but the OP said it was slow draining, not blocked draining. I had a very similar issue recently where roofers had roofed over a vent, flush with decking and effectively sealing it. The affected waste lines from a bathroom were noticeably slower to drain and gurgled as the wastewater 'searched' for air in order to vacate. Cut through the roof, extended the vent, problem solved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: