Washer water supply access from behind wall?

Old 03-28-17, 11:03 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washer water supply access from behind wall?

I have a small laundry "hall" that I wish to convert to a stacked configuration. This will completely block the existing washer utility box and valves, which were placed for a side-by-side arrangement. On the other side of the laundry hall wet wall is our master bath toilet room. Rather than move the utility box and valves to make it accessible from the laundry room, is it possible, code permissible, and practical to provide access to the valves from the toilet room side of the wet wall?

Thanks.

Old 03-29-17, 03:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Do you have room on the side to get to valves? Remember you need at least 5 inches in back for dryer vent. Do not try to cheat this as you will have problems with dryer. I have worked on many of these stacked units and usually you put washer in and connect hoses and drain first than stack dryer on top before you push dryer all the way back you plug it in and connect vent. If this is a one piece unit you take center panel off and reach in there and connect vent. Hoses are usually long enough to connect before you push washer. dryer combo in.

Old 03-29-17, 07:56 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The dryer will be vented using a Dryerbox and an in-wall vent connection, and the appliances are zero-clearance with a "rabbet" in the dryer base that allows a 4" vent to be routed out from the dryer with a close radius elbow. But yes, dryer vent routing will be tricky.

But from your response I gather that you don't think that providing access to the existing plumbing from the back side as I described is as good an idea as repositioning the lines to the side for front access. It may not be...

Indeed, reading up all of the problems with trying to get service for stacked separates (once stacked, never destacked), it may just be better to live with the present configuration. Certainly the water and dryer vent line routing is far easier and permits near zero-clearance positioning with, again, this particular manufacturer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: