Toilet drain pipe broke: flanges wont fit

Old 06-26-17, 10:31 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Toilet drain pipe broke: flanges wont fit

Installing a new toilet that was old and wobbled. Took off the flange to see that it actually wasnt connected at all. It was broken off the drain pipe. Any ideas how to fix this?

Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  t2.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  34.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-28-17 at 09:07 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 06-27-17, 06:34 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have access to the lead bend below the floor?

Old 06-27-17, 12:40 PM
X
There are a few ways to fix this.

1.) In the past many plumbers would attach a new cast iron closet flange to that cast iron closet drain pipe by using oakum and melting lead to join them. However, this is being discouraged and even banned in some places due to the lead.
2.) You can use a PVC push in flange. It simply pushes into the cast iron closet drain pipe and has a rubber gasket on the end of it to create a seal. You would then screw that flange into the floor. Masonry screws would be good for this.
3.) There is another type of PVC push in flange that has stainless steel screws in it that you tighten to make the flange expand in the pipe and create a good seal. You would still need to screw it into the floor to anchor it in place.
4.) If you have the old cast iron flange, you can use a super flange which is a flange that sits over it and screws into the floor.

Old 06-27-17, 10:25 PM
D
Will try

Those are all great ideas, thank you!

I dont think ill get into the lead melting business myself. I will try the push, but its at a weird angle, so when i try to fit a small connector of PVC on there, its angle backwards toward the wall. I am going to pick up a push fit to see if that does the trick ! Thanks again!

Old 06-27-17, 10:30 PM
D
Its all just concrete around, old house with no basement in Arizona. Otherwise i could go deeper and replace part of the pipe as well.

Old 06-28-17, 08:45 PM
X
There actually is an angled/offset PVC push in flange that might be the best option for your setup.

Old 06-28-17, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I had to reorient your picture. I was getting dizzy.

The biggest problem there is there is not much left to fasten to. It looks like the concrete has crumbled around the lead bend. Probably the reason the flange broke free.

Old 06-29-17, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've always been partial to insta-set closet flanges. You may have to chip a little more concrete out, then pour back something, like rockite. And you would have to use a few masonry anchors, but it'll last forever.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: