Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Leaky gate valve

CANADA

05-15-17, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Leaky gate valve

Name:  IMG_1515.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  31.6 KBName:  IMG_1516.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  30.5 KB

I have a steady flow that looks like it is coming from this gate valve. It has 4 screws in the corners which I cannot see how I can possibly get to these ( I can get to one). I wanted to try to tighten the 4 screws first and if that doesn't fix it - I guess I will replace it. What is the normal procedure for this? Do you normally just start tearing out the foam insulation to get to the screws? Any input would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

NJ

05-15-17, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)  
There is a union there. I would forget about the screws for now.

I would loosen union and follow pipe back after the valve. Find a place to cut clean. Then remove whole section. Repair valve then glue piece back with a repair coupling ( Slip)

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

CANADA

05-16-17, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Sounds like a plan, am considering just eliminating the valve entirely - any opinions?

Super Moderator

NJ

05-16-17, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)  
The valve is there because if the pump fails you can change it out without draining the tub.

If you feel no need for it, yeah remove it..

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

CANADA

05-16-17, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Can I buy the required PVC/glue etc... from Home Depot or do I need to go to a spa place? Also, is it possible to just use a Fernco adapter to connect the pipes instead of the glue?

Super Moderator

NJ

05-16-17, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Fernco if it holds.. Im sure there is a bit or pressure. Otherwise yes glue and primer from home store. Slip coupling if you can find one there. Unless you have play use regular coupling..

Slip coupling you need to be quick..

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

CANADA

05-17-17, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Here is the picture after I cut away insulation. *What do you suggest I need for parts? *Can I use any coupler with flex on one side and rigid on the other? *I don't think I can re-use the part that connects to the pump again? *Looks like it may be too short after I cut out the gate valve?

Name:  IMG_1530.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  30.6 KB

Super Moderator

NJ

05-17-17, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Hmmmm unexpected...

Take the valve apart and replace the seal/O ring/Gasket

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

NJ

05-17-17, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Although they may make fittings to be glued with flex pipe as you can see but I am not familiar with them.

I would take it that they are threaded and you glue and twist the fitting on..

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

CANADA

05-19-17, 07:16 AM   #10 (permalink)  
In case someone else has a similar problem... I ended up calling a repair guy - like to at least try these things first though. I watched him fix it and he just glued the flex pipe like any other pipe, replaced the gate valve and the pump union and he was literally done in 20 minutes. I don't even want to think how much time I spent looking at this ha ha.

Thanks for the information Mike!!

Super Moderator

NJ

05-19-17, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)  
he was literally done in 20 minutes. I don't even want to think how much time I spent looking at this ha ha.
LOL thats funny....

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

Search this Thread