Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

My thanks to several people

MD

02-28-17, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)  
My thanks to several people

As you know I have cancer. Today I went back to the hospital to see the surgeon after outpatient surgery for a port. I had a volunteer who took me there but I couldn't call her on my cell phone as the battery had died. The receptionist there was kind enough to let me use her cell phone so I could let my volunteer know I was running late.

The second act of kindness was while I was getting my first infusion treatment. The doctors office was running late so a man who was with his wife allowed me to use his charger. That way I was able to again call my volunteer and let her know I was running late.

All worked well and when my volunteer took me home she had a nice surprise for me. She made a hamburger casserole which we will eat on Thursday. I also had a surprise for my volunteer, some flowers my brother sent me which we just don't have room for. It was a nice group of flowers and well done but when you don't have room it is better to pass them on.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

02-28-17, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)  
We come across heroes every day. Thank God for volunteers and people with a good heart.

We're pulling for you Rich.

~ Pete ~

NY

03-01-17, 06:04 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Rich,

Good luck in your recovery. And I mean recovery!

The little favors in life are the ones I like best.

MD

03-01-17, 06:44 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Thank you for your well wishes. I agree thank God for volunteers and those little favors are the ones I like best. We really miss our cell phones when they don't work and now everyone if they travel at all needs a cell phone. Long gone are those days when you could find a pay phone anywhere. Thank God too for those little acts of kindness.

NY

03-01-17, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Long gone are those days when you could find a pay phone anywhere.
Funny you should mention this.
The rehab center that my son just vacated this past week had a pay telephone on the wall. It looked out of place since everything there was pretty much modern and state of the art.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-01-17, 08:14 AM   #6 (permalink)  
The last time I used a pay phone it might have been a slot machine. My doctor changed office locations but no one bothered to tell me and at that time I didn't have a cellphone. I put in 50 got a message saying it required another 50 which I did and again got a recording saying to deposit 50 .... and the phone wouldn't give me my change back either. Because I was mad I wrote down the service number, called it when I got home [long distance] only to get a recording stating that number had been disconnected.

Today I couldn't tell you where a pay phone is or how long it's been since I've seen one. I assume the jail house has one but I have no intentions of going there

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MD

03-04-17, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Norm201 that is the first time in a long time I have heard about any pay phone in a public place, a rare thing indeed. Marksr I remember how high a price the pay phones were getting to be which led to their demise. I have pay as you go for my cell phone so I don't pay much a year but I know some people like my niece for instance can and has had her phone shut off because of high bills. So in some ways those old dirty pay phones were cheaper.

On another note my first round of chemo went well and I didn't have any bad side effects, at least not in this very first round.

NY

03-04-17, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)  
I didn't have any bad side effects,
That's great to hear. I hope it continues.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-05-17, 06:22 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Hey, Richard. Clear your inbox out a little. I have sent you a PM, but it won't go through. Thanks, friend.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

03-05-17, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)  

Hello: hedgeclippers (Richard)

Along with all the moderators and entire web site personal and staff, I too wish you a speedy recovery. Get well asap...

Pay Phone? Like this one...HA HA

>>><<<

MD

03-06-17, 09:57 AM   #11 (permalink)  
Larry please try again I cleared out my entire box so a retry should work. I have been wanting to get that done for a long time but I either haven't had the time or haven't felt like doing it. I now am stronger the doctors say the cancer will never go away but will be under control. They could be right or if I am lucky it may go away, only God knows for sure.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-06-17, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)  
OK, PM is on the way. I had a draft, but lost it. I'll do it and send it again.

AZ

03-14-17, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)  
Hey Hedgeclippers,

Thinking positive thoughts for your recovery. My sister did the port infusion process also.

MD

03-15-17, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)  
Thank you bluesbreaker for your kind thoughts. I hope your sister has done well and will add her to my prayers. Getting the port is the painful part but after a while it isn't too bad. The hard part was carrying home the portable pump and figuring out how to change your shirt. The nurses though are very helpful and very kind. You can also use wifi there and eat snacks as needed which makes the process better. If you want to they also have televisions to watch which is nice.

Search this Thread