avoiding salt, sugar, and carbs

Old 07-25-14, 04:19 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
avoiding salt, sugar, and carbs

I'm on a major weight loss (self determined) program. I've done well on Atkins in the past and with the new popularity of low carb there are a lot more options out there.

That brings me to my new eating habits and wow, when you drop the sugar, salt, and carbs there isn't a lot left to choose from. Fortunately I like to cook and have been able to pull together some reasonable meals. The really good news is my food cravings are gone. Atkins used to call this Ketosis, but call it whatever you want it feels great to only eat when I think I should.

My latest food item is bell pepper pizza. I just finished my first try and it was great. Plenty of receipts online and for those with a little cooking in their blood it is easy to put together a satisfying meal that will substitute for a good pizza in my new world any day.

I still have to do a count on the sugar/salt/and carbs, but what I cooked up was way less than a traditional pizza and as I refine my ingredients it will only get better.

Low salt/sugar/ and carbs, any good suggestions? BTW down 40lbs and blood sugar and blood pressure improving.

Bud

Old 07-25-14, 05:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sounds good. I have a yeast dough recipe I could make in my sleep that uses grape seed oil (slightly healthier than olive oil) a bit of Truvia, yeast, bread flour, and buttermilk powder that should be good for the crust. I'm thinking maybe some quinoa to as a topping. I'm wondering if maybe a bit of crumbled baked ground turkey might be good too. I know getting away from the basics but I love to experiment.

Thanks for getting me thinking.

Old 07-25-14, 06:07 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
My story is longer than I posted. Doctor said more pills and I said no way. The ones he had me taking were already making me sick and they weren't helping the sugar and blood pressure that much. So after a horrible night heaving up all of the meds, I said enough. I told him we both know that weight loss will help more than the pills. To which he said, you have been overweight so long it is obvious you can't lose weight. Well that was the red flag in front of the bull, so 120lbs is my initial goal (40 so far) and a total change in eating habits is the only way to get there.

The never again list is no pasta, no bread, no salt, no sugar, and much smaller meals. I even gave up the yellow sugar substitute and found a liquid Stevia that is great. Of course "zero" for any of these is almost impossible, but as low as I can go.

Example of watching the label. I found a 25 oz jar of regular sweetened applesauce in the cupboard. When I checked the label and did a little math, that jar contains 31 teaspoons of sugar, plus 24 grams of carbs. I used to eat an entire jar with pork chops and blamed the chops for the resulting bad feeling. I'm rambling.

But I do like to experiment as well. I will post this pizza stuffed pepper receipt once I adjust a few items.

Bud

Old 07-25-14, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
As long as you are increasing activity as much as possible, any change to the better for eating habits is good. I dropped almost 25 in 6 months, even w/o changing my eating too much, just by doing 45 min 2X a week at the gym, and walking at least 3 other days a week. After the owner and my wife had a falling out and I couldn't go there anymore, I only went up 4 lbs, but my blown out knee contributed a lot to that.

I still eat what I like, once in a while, but mostly it's more light stuff like grilled chicken and lean pork. If I do a rib or ribeye pig out I just adjust for it the next day. I always watch labels of foods, esp those labeled low fat or similar. They almost always compensate by adding sugars or something, which adds up even worse.

I found after a month or two of really watching my food, it seemed like I never wanted to eat as much as before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: